Peony 'Lutea'

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I bought this from Wayside last Fall. It was only 5 inches tall and it made it thru the winter. My question is that it is not developing any growth on the stem. At the very bottom is 2 small growths. This is my first time with tree peonies and do not know if this acceptable. One appears to be growing upward and the other is going out to the side. Thanks for any help.
Linda

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

I noticed you didn't get a reply yet- I think just hang in there- the buds will turn into something soon!- It takes a couple of years for a tree peony to establish itself.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the reply.
We are having our Master Gardener's Flower Show this week. The general consenus (2 people) there is that it most likely will revert back to the root stock and not the Tree graft. Since this is from a company that is only selling one peony this year I will not be getting a replacement and do not want to be waiting too long to ask for a refund/gift certificate.
If you or anyone else have any comments I would appreciate it. Linda

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

you should be able to tell once the leaf unfurls whether it's the tree peony or not....good luck!

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks, sjms. How do you tell?

A trader who gave me a tree peony last Fall ( It had 5 blooms this Spring) said if it was from the species it would remain the Lutea. If not it could be any thing.

I cut off the side shoot and letting the one that wants to go stright up alone. I will have to wait for a few years before it flowers.

Hopefully, I will be able to keep up with this thread. Linda

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

post a picture at some point in the near future...tree peony leaves are very elegant, and more disected or lobed than herbaceous peonies- and usually larger- they are often a sort of dusty bluish green- though I don't know just how P lutea leaves look- you can probably find a picture on PlantScout or Google...

Asheville, NC(Zone 7a)

I also ordered a "Lutea" from either Parks or Wayside 2 years ago (It was on sale). Last year I called to complain that it had died. Ofcourse they no longer had the plant in stock, so the sent me a credit. For some reason i just left it in the ground, and to my amazement, it started sprouting this spring! It has several small yellow blooms, not very showy but rather sweet. I have over a hundred peonies, including trees and itohs, and consider myself somewhat knowledgeable. If you really want a showy yellow peony, consider getting "Garden Treasure" from Hollingsworth Peonies. Ofcourse, it too will most likely take two seasons to start blooming.
Hope this helps you.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Here it is folks. it is a beauty.
Garden Treasure http://www.hollingsworthpeonies.com/2006PlantOffering/OfferingImages2006/0205%20Garden%20Treasure7%20-%2096dpi.jpg
I thought to myself maybe in a few years the price would come down; but, I see that it has been pricey since 1984!!
Urshm or anyone, I am also interested in a coral peony. Anything in a low price range. I like the doubles but was mostly after the color. I have all colors but coral. Thanks, Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.