Red Maple planting considerations.

Sandwich, IL

I will be planting a new Bloodgood Red Maple shortly & need advice on what should be done to prepare the soil. I have read conflicting reports on adding humus, Mycorrhizal fungi, and other additives. I would also like to know if there is an ideal location when considering light. Should I look for morning / afternoon sun? I live in the Chicago, IL area.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What kind of soil do you have now?

As I understand it, Bloodgood appreciates a little afternoon shade but this is a tree that is going to outgrow almost any shade that you give it unless you have some pretty large trees for it. The more sun it has earlier in the day the better as it is supposed to stay redder.

I would love to know your zone. If you go to 'my info' at the top of the page, go to "my preferences" at the left of the page and then go to 'my location' there is a place to enter your zone. It helps us all if we know what you are dealing with in terms of climate.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Also, if you can give it some protection from winter wind that might help. The later you can get it to leaf out the better too. Meaning, that if you can put it in a spot that doesn't get too much winter/early spring sun then the buds will open later and you'll have less chance of frost or wind damage to the tender new leaves. Mine is just starting to open its buds, which is still before the average last frost for the Chicago area.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Sandwhich Il seems to be in zone 5 a it's southwest of chicago. Illinois ground varies so much YES that is what we need to know TYPE OF SOIL..As far as location I think it's universally agreed that morning sun and afternoon shade is best for most any JM's but the bloodgood, after it becomes established should in your area take full sun ...it may burn before then but thats no big deal... but in full shade I can guarentee you it will be red in spring abnd fall only as mine are. As far as late frosts In the last ten years I HAVE had an occasional winter die back on the top branches but never late frost damage...my bloods are always late to come out. It's always best as Willis has stated to give some west and north winter protection...but as long as your not an ENGALS without a tree or bush in site sorounded by corn fields with 25 mph winter winds you should be fine with a BG...David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.