ID this spider for me, please?

There are TONS of these spiders spinning webs all over the back side of our house. I believe them to be harmless, but I'd like to ID them, just to make sure. I'm trying to learn to leave spiders alone, so if these are good guys, I won't bother them (except for the one who is spinning right in the back doorway - a spider on my head is a bad spider, regardless!)
Thanks!

Edited to say, I won't squish the one in the doorway, I'll move it to a more out-of-the-way location. ;o)

This message was edited Apr 14, 2006 9:36 AM

Thumbnail by RainGazer

Here's another picture, just for good measure.

Thumbnail by RainGazer
Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Could be a couple of different things. If they are spinning large wheel shaped webs, I would say that they are orb weavers (Araneidae). If they are making cob web type webs (messy little webs), they are probably Theridiidae (and likely the from the genus Steatoda). Both families of spiders have similar type bodies. The main difference - unless looking really close - is the type of webs that they make.

Neither type will be poisonous. If you want to reduce the number of spiders you have hanging out, however, if you have outdoor lighting, you might want to consider changing it to yellow bug lights. Even floodlights now come in a yellow bug light now. The less insects that are attracted towards the house, the less food for spiders and they'll find elsewhere to go.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2006 4:40 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.