Welcome to the "tornado alley" forum!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

By popular request, here's a forum for those of you in the central Midwest area of the U.S., including Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas...and any others who want to join in. Enjoy!

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Nebraska?

Sure!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is going to be so fabulous. All last summer and thru the winter I have been thinking about this. I'll still dmail subscribers in KS, OK, AR, KY, and NE to let them know the good news. I think I finished the MO subscribers last night tho I'll keep checking for new ones. I don't want anyone to feel left out. Good thing I learned to do copy and paste last week! LOL I think Tornado Alley forum is a good name for this one. They seem to start in one of the states and go right on thru the others.

We are having lovely weather here this week. We thought March would never let go and allow spring to arrive. Now maybe I can put my winter clothes away for good. I put them up once when we had nice weather a month of so a go but had to get them back out. Summer clothes are beginning to be used more each day.

I planted onions yesterday. One bundle of either Texas Super Sweets or Candy. I told the lady at my favorite garden center to give me whatever they had the most of to get rid of that day. The soil in those beds is so compacted in spite of nearly 1/2 a ton of sand and hundreds of bags of leaves in each one. We have 9 concrete block framed raised beds. Mostly 4 blocks wide by 19 blocks long. Some are 5 blocks wide and that is way too wide. The original soil in them was purchased top soil from a pasture about 15 miles from here that a new water tower was being put on. We knew the field and thought the soil would be good. But it is the same black gumbo we have all over our farm. Once I get it tilled in the spring it stays fairly loose thruout the growning season, but during the winter months it packs down hard again.

I have other beds that were begun with rotten down silage and have had hundreds of bags of leaves as well as a couple 3.8 cu. ft. bags of spent potting soil added to them which are wonderly loose. I planted 15# of potatoes there a couple days ago.

Must go rest up for the day ahead of me. I work on weedends only and it takes all the energy I have for those 2 days to get thru them.

GOD bless and keep each of you. May you be blessed with rain and sunshine in just the right amounts at just the right times to raise bountiful crops.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Thank you Terry/Dave/Trish.....and leaflady! I've wondered many times where I was gonna fit in! LOL This is grrrrrrrrreat!!!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

This is great! other people are going to to have same growning Pains LOL
And growning in Oklahoma can be a big pain

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the forum. (((((((((tazzy)))))))))
See ya'll out there.
mich

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Cool ~ thanks!

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

I'm glad to see this forum. I am much closer to Oklahoma, Kansas. and Missouri than the areas on the Mid South forum, in fact I am in the Ozarks area that is shared by Okla. and Missouri.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

marian i thought ark. be good to be here to.. Glad we all made it here.. ..its great...

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Thanks hope43. I am not all that far from Tulsa.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Whoo hoo, we have a forum too!!

Take that upper midwest, LOL.

Susan
=^..^=

Claremore, OK

It's nice to know this forum is here! Thanks for the invite Brinda!

Tulsa has the Spring Garden Mart tomorrow at the Tulsa Garden Center from 9 am to 4 pm on Saturday, April 15th. It is to raise funds for the Garden Center. The new teaching garden should be open for tours. The Tulsa Garden Center is located next to Woodward Park at 21st and Peoria. Come down 21st St and cut through the park due to Peoria being under construction.

The Easter Bunny will be there from 12 to 4 pm for photos their is a small charge for photos. Yes, I am the Easter Bunny so come by and say, "Hello!"

Jenks, OK has its Herb Festival on Saturday also; however, I don't know the times.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Kellyville, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you Brinda, for letting me know that we have our own little forum. I have been so busy planting and building, that I havent spent my usual six hours a day on DG. John

The front lawn with all the vendors set up '
there are also venders inside the manision .
Tulsa garden center members got to shop late last night ,
it ran today and all day tommrow .
i got some nice plants and herbs.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2006 9:06 AM

Thumbnail by tazzy

Next Saturday April 22
Is the Tulsa Iris Show
Show will be open to public at 1:Pm till 5 PM
Sun 11 AM till 5 PM .
We will be taking advance orders for the July iris sale at the same time

This message was edited Apr 14, 2006 10:24 PM

Tulsa Area Iris Show (early show )
Apri 22 1 PM to 5 PM and April 23 11 AM to 5 PM

Thumbnail by tazzy
Forsyth, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for opening a forum for the rest of us!

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks Terry! If I can just remember to bring the camera home on weekends and get some photos. The bed of purple (K-State) tulips is blooming, the fern leaf peonies are up and fixing to bloom, pond is cleaned, front flower beds extended and most of the 75 bags of mulch are spread. Looking forward to this forum!!!!

My lower lip is quivering. Your fern-leaf is fixin to bloom????

Okay, first off, our southern-ese has apparently rubbed off on you - nobody in Kansas will understand you if you start saying stuff like "fixin' to" (*grin*)

But (whimper, whimper), mine has just put up a few stems (ferny stems, but just stems) and shows zero inclination to bloom this year. Sniffle, sniffle. Oh well, if one of ours was going to do well, and the other one poke, I suppose it's good it turned out this way, considering yours *was* a gift after all ;o)

Mulch? Did someone say the "M-word"??? (I had two scoops dumped under the carport yesterday, and I'm about half-way through "distributing" it (one shovelful at a time.)

Big hugs to you and Dad - hope you enjoy the Easter weekend!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Speaking of 'tornado alley' ~ I'd better power down the 'puter cuz it's fixin' to storm right now!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Marian no your not far at all..

Have a happy and safe week end.. Blessed Easter.

JC, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the new forum, and good to here from all of you heartland folks

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Hello.... What a nice forum! Feels comfy already.

We have had very warm weather, some needed rain, some not wanted storms and even a couple of funnels. I am in the sticks and my home is set in the side of a hill, I think that helps with the funnels that blow by... they seem to hill jump instead of bothering to travel on down, though we did lose a couple of huge trees further up the hill ....

Waving hello at Moby, Tazzy, Twyla, Leaflady....

Happy Easter and God Bless All Y'all

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

fsrstarr, we are located sort of like you, on the slope of a hill ( the north slope), and although we have lived in this spot 22 years I have never heard of a tornado hitting anywhere really close. My DH 's relatives lived around here much longer. They 'did' suffer from a flash flood in the valley below us. A tornado did a lot of damage in Harrison,(which is the closest town to us), before we moved to Arkansas in 1977.
Tornado alley around here is to the north of us, around the Eureka Springs area.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Dropping down to say Yaaa for all of you!

LOL 9kittymom!

Kingsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Hello everyone in the Central Midwest!
Leaflady sent me an email a few days ago, but I couldn't get online until today... busy at work (tax season), and busy at home getting things planted. I couldn't find the thread saying I was interested, but I finally found that the forum is already started. I live about 40 miles southeast of KC, MO (mostly east). I work in KC (teller at a credit union, and teaching piano), so I don't get much time in the garden during the week. I have more planted earlier this year than I have in the past... hoping to beat the dry heat. Peas, onions, potatoes and beets are up. Carrots are planted, but not up yet. I got the corn planted on Saturday. It was threatening to storm (severe predicted), but we only got a few sprinkles. The main part of the storm went to the northeast of KC and missed us.
The tulips and rhodedenron are just about finished, and some of the irises have buds.. peonies also. I had crocuses for the first time, which I thought were supposed to be the first flower in the spring. My daffodils were all done by the time the crocuses come up! I have a bunch of perrenials started in the house, along with tomatos, peppers etc, but don't plan to put any of them out til May 1 or so. Even though it was close to 90 last week, we could still get frost. Last fall, we got a deck built (step-sons did the work), so now I'm working on getting flowerbeds around the back side of the house too. We have been planning to get a deck built for a few years now, but I didn't want to put any flowers out back until I knew for sure where the deck would be. The house is a manufactured one and only about 8 or 9 years old. The first owner didn't actually finish it and never lived in it. (we still don't have power in the basement/garage!) So anyway, when I moved there, there was NO landscaping down... welll grass, sort of.. but that was all.
Well, have to balance for the day now. I hope to be able to post frequently and get acquainted.
Helen

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Welcome BillyPorter and Helen50...Stay and chat awhile...

Isn't IA the Central Midwest, too? I thought it was... Where's Wanda and the IA Poachers Gang? (heh heh)

Claremore, OK

I'm looking for combinations of flowers that I can duplicate in my garden. I have full sun and shade areas. I like perennials because I don't have to replant. I'd love, love, love to see photos of what you have done with perennials.

The picture has: elephant ears (not perennial) in the back, tall phlox, pink cone flower, balloon flower, and scarlet bee balm.

I'd be thrilled to read about your compost adventures, and any and all advice you have on tumblers. I have two tumblers (thanks to friends), but no instruction books.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Terry what did you mean about us Kansas folks not understanding fixin' to do something? I am always fixin' to do something myself. I understand quite will. We are a little southern here.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thank you Fsrstarr. I thought we were more central than upper.

Peas, onions, potatoes, spinich, turnips and garlic are up. Carrots and daikon radishes aren't showing yet. The corn is a thought right now.

Fern peonies are about to burst open! Border iris and grape hyacinths are at their peak. Daffodils were a short bloomer this year.

Sally

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Sally, my bearded iris are just starting. My iris reticulata bloomed about a month ago, and the wild iris cristata is in full bloom. I am surprised that your iris are ahead of mine. I don't have any fern peonies, and my others are a ways from opening.
Some of our last week's blooms didn't last long due to the heat. It has cooled back down to almost normal., and we had a nice shower this morning.
One more week and I can put out all the wintered over plants! Yippee!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Marian, My bearded aren't near ready, but the little 6'' iris are doing well. I forgot to add my absolute favorite. Bleeding Hearts!

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

My Bleeding Heart has almost all died out. :-(
I have no idea why. Maybe if I dig it up and move it , it will revive?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I've tried to move large plants and almost killed them. The spectibilis reseeds very well for me. I finally had the white one reseed after 21 years.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Only a small piece of mine is left. I have not seen any reseeding.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

The roots are pretty brittle. Do you have the rosy-pink / white ones? Mine get roof runoff and stay fairly moist all summer. I usually cut them back in the fall. They get a little die off, but most of the plant stays green.

I forgot I posted a picture of my border iris and grape hyacinths in Weather : April Daily Weather,Showers For Flowers.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Yes, mine are just the common BleedingHearts. A friend gave me the start from hers. Mine get roof run-off too. It always dies down completely in the summer.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It must get too hot for it.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I just noticed we have this forum! I BELONG somewhere!!!! Whoo hoo!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.