New to the area....

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

Hi all,
My name is James, you may have seen me on some other forums, but I just joined this one because I will be moving to Portland this fall for school. Jessi and I just got back from Portland this afternoon in fact (by the way, I HATE flying). So, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I have been to Oregon on several occasions (Jessi's folks live in Florence) and I just love it there. The climate, the people and all of the new plants! I was amazed at everything coming into bloom. We visited the Japanese gardens, and a garden, can't remember the name in Charleston, which was just beautiful! There is so much to see and do I and I am really looking forward to the move! Also looking forward to new challenges in a new place and new gardening challenges!

See ya around,
James

Thumbnail by orange_knickers
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

welcome Stevie Nicks Fan. So am I!! Any one who doesnt like that voice is nuts. You will love Portland. Anything grows there. We have to work at it here in Montana.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

Hi J
Congrats on the big move to Portland and going to school. I just know you and Jessi will love it here in Oregon. You sure did come for a visit at the right time. Sooo much is in bloom at this time.
And yes LOL....Anything grows here in Oregon!!! I'll get you started with some Brugs if you can't bring any with you.
Do you know what part of Portland you want to live in?
Kin

Thumbnail by
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Welcome to Oregon, James! :o)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Ditto, James and Jessi, there are so many wonderful places to visit. Next fall your first stop will need to be Swan Island Dahlias about 30 minutes maximum from Portland. Forty acres of the most glorious dahlias, you will just be amazed. And then next spring there are all kinds of places to send you, tulips, irises, rhodendrons and rose gardens all. You will love it. Portland has fabulous rose gardens, I can think of two. Down here in my area you will have to visit the Oregon Garden. Welcome, welcome.

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Welcome Jameses!! I m new to this forum my self, but I bet ya, you will love it Portland, Oregon and yes, the people. Everybody here is very helpful and nice..and the climate here and stuff you can grow........its amazing..Welcome.

Beaverton, OR(Zone 8a)

Welcome!

I moved to Oregon 33 years ago. At frist I missed Puget Sound ( still miss the water) but love Oregon. I have traveled to 10 countries and many states in US but Oregon is on the top of my list.

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I have only been back in Colorado for four days now, and I really do miss it out there. It was a nice 65 or so when we left Portland, and two hours later we were back in Denver with a record breaking 85. My Crocus didn't even bloom this year, I think it got too hot too fast here this year. We had a wonderful time out there.

We spent half of the time in portland looking around and learning the transportation system. What a nice set up, it really is top notch. I am going to study Graphic Design and Photography at Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham. It is a community college but the have the absolute best Grpahic Design program in the entire state with better pay rates for recent graduates, even better than the Art Institutes, and a fraction of the cost too! We want to live in the downtown area we think, and then use the Max Line to get to school everyday. We didn't do much looking at housing as we figured that wouldn't do us much good until we actually sold our house and had a time frame. So Kin, can't tell you exactly where we want to live. Any suggestions? Just need a change of pace from Loveland here, and Gresham was not much of a change. The downtown atmosphere is great!

I am hoping to bring my Dahlias, Brugs and maybe some others I like out with me. Even if I can't do anything with them (if I have to go into an apartment) I can share them with you all just in case the one who buys my house has no idea what a Dahlia is. I did see two brugs in Washington Park and freaked out! I have never seen a brig in the ground before! They would never survive a winter here! I have also never seen a Rhody, now those are cool! And Tulip Magnolias, WOW! I know I am going to have fun out there and can't wait!

Soferdig, if that your yard. I am impressed. Looks like you have it down no problem! Thanks for the welcome. What part of Montana are you in? My mother is thinking about moving up there.

Lenjo, I actually saw a sign on I-5 for Mt. Angel and I though of you. It would be nice to meet you sometime. This was the first year I have ordered fro Swan and they arrived just yesterday in fact. There gardens are in Canby correct? We visited the Oregon Garden last August but it was SO hot that we did not stay long. But the Petunias still looked fab which surprised me, because in August, they look horrible here. I am excited to see the Rose Gardens. I did visit the Japanese Garden and want to eventually see the Wisteria in bloom. There are some nice houses up in that area, just a great area.

Birdscrazy, what part of Portland are you in? I would like to talk to you sometime about your move if you'd like. You just moved didn't you?

Rose Lady, that is impressive, 10 countries! I hope it was all just pleasure and not work!

Thanks again everyone,
James

Oh, and Kin, thanks for the "greeting card." Is that one brug, or more than one??? Impressive as always, thanks for sharing!

Oh, and another thing, where did the Daffodils come from along I-5??? We have dry brown grass and weeds here in Colorado. No fair!

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

Mt. Hood from our plane, which was breathtaking!

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

'Vulcan' Magnolia, now how awesome is this one???

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

I just had to visit the Goonies House in Astoria, and no, I did not do the truffle shuffle, I don't have much to shuffle!

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

Jessi and myself at Multnomah Falls, way cool!

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

My new camera with an awesome macro mode!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

You will love it here especially since you are such a gardening fan. And there is so many great hikes to be had all over Oregon. I have nephews and a brother up in North Portland and it is a pretty area.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Welcome, James. Those are astounding photos- I've never seen such a mountain top shot from a plane! You better plan on visiting the dahlia forum and try to find a place to live with a big sunny yard, balconyor deck. There are plenty of NW dahlia lovers to get you in over your head!

Am I so old now that I don't know what the Goonies or truffle shuffle are? And to think I got carded just the other day.....

Excellent Photos J.....!!!!!
Such a good looking couple you two are.
NW and NE PDX are really great places to live in. I lived in both areas while living in PDX. The rent is quite HIGH but it's the happening areas of PDX . MAX is such an excellent way to get around. Fun too..LOL
http://www.apartments.com/Oregon/Western-CoastalOregon/Portland&Vicinity/Portland
There are two brugs in that photo putting out a flush. The taller one is 3 yrs. old and the smaller one is 2 yrs. old. They are Charles Grimaldi.

Beautiful Rhody Shot

This message was edited Apr 17, 2006 6:49 PM

Eugene, OR(Zone 8a)

I am new to these forums, but spent better part of 10 years of my life in and around Gresham (also went to Mt. Hood Community College, but as a music and biology major). Just wanted to say welcome to the area!

The Goonies picture made me laugh. I'm originally from the Bay Area in CA and had no idea about Goonies until I met my now husband. He was appalled that I didn't know Astoria played such an important role in cinematic history (rolling my eyes).

We're going to be pulling up a very nice Rhodie from the yard of our new house. I think I'm one of the few who don't like that plant. It's right in front of the front door, very tall, very much covered in bees, and very VERY fuschia. A bit too much for me. I'm probably going to put up an ad on Craigslist... hee hee "Free Rhodie to good home!"

This message was edited Apr 25, 2006 4:40 PM

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well james you had better keep that photo of Mt Hood cause you will only see it that clear two times a year. LOL
I live in Kalispell which is NW montana next to Glacier Park. It is beautiful here and the sun is out most of the time. Except winter where it is mostly cloudy.
Your picture of Multmoma Falls reminds me when I first visited there. The road into it was signed that no heavy loads were to enter so not thinking I drove in there with our ryder 3 ton truck and trailor and just before the falls was a bridge that had a 2 ton limit to cross. Well it was difficult to back up the Ryder and trailor about 3 miles to the first turn around I could manage to U turn on. Oh well next time I will think before I do. This was in 1975 and the road was only a narrow 2 laner.

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

James Im in North-East part of Portland> Yes my husband and I moved here from Phoenix< Arizona (yeaks!!!!) last June.
Gresham is just few min behind our neighbourhood.Im still just amazed with the air quality here, all the trees and plants we can plant here (and they actualy doing "good" here..hee hee!)> Yes, it is the best place , one can live.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.