Hi from Shoreline, WA

Seattle, WA

Spring is here and my gardening has begun! I just wanted to share a picture. Bulbs and helleborus are such great investments....
I hope everyone is enjoying the start of the season!

Thumbnail by Mockorange
Winlock, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Mockorange, Beautiful flowers you have. I only wish it could be spring all year long! I think I have 1 helleborus - had it for years but it's not one of the showy ones so I didn't pay much attention to it or buy more. Now that I've seen everyone talking about them and looked at many on some websites I think I'll get some others.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Mockorange, that's a very pretty picture! It seems that springs gets an earlier start in Seattle than it does on Whidbey. And we have very tall trees edging the property so have to wait til the sun gets very high in the sky before we start getting a good dose of it. My plants are always about 2 weeks behind the stuff growing downtown Langley. It's hard to wait!

Gwendalou

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Mockorange those flowers are so pretty, I love this picture. Im gonna get me helleborus too !! I was thinking..maybe I can get somewhere the convallaria too, those are remind me a lot of the place Im coming from and I saw some here and there passing by some houses, in their front yards. I love spring !!!!!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi MockOrange, love those flowers. I have a few hellebores in the shade but didn't think of putting daff or other bulbs there. Need to do that then.
Carol

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Welcome mockorange!!!! You will learn so much here. I am so happy to see so many PNWers.

Seattle, WA

Thanks for all the comments! Helleborus seem to be in every garden center these days. There are so many varieties now. They really are a wonderful evergreen plant with early blooms. The silver plant is a helleborus as well....waiting to see that one bloom. My husband picked out the daffodils on a whim. He showed a little interest so I had to get them.

I was in Langley just a few weekends ago. We took our dog to the dog beach...double bluff. It was so fun. The dog slept well that night. We ate lunch at The Dog House. It was a full day.

Here's another one of my favorites. Common and old fashioned, it really says spring to me.

-Mockorange

Thumbnail by Mockorange
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Welcome Mockorange. I was just in Shoreline! My doughter and her family live there and maybe you've seen them in the news? My Little Bekka is the one that had the double transplants 16 mths. ago, and king5 news is still following her progress.I want to try helleborus again. It is so hot and dry over here and I didn't have it in a cooler place. Maybe it will grow near my ponds edge? I need to talk with Rutholive about it as she lives over here also. Oh ya, Last year I planted a beautiful mockorange right close to the deck and I can't wait for her to bloom and do her fragrent thing!
Debbie

Des Moines, south of, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Mockorange! I was very interested in the silver plant. You say that's a hellebore also? I've never seen one like that. Is that a coral-colored flower on it I see? Very beautiful foliage. Do you know its name?

I learned somethng about hellebores recently. The florists and nursery people routinely cut back the leaves to show the flowers as it blooms and it doesn't seem to hurt the plant at all! I tried it and what a difference it made, and no ill effects.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Love those little violets. My friend dug some up for me from her garden and last year we planted them under the bottom step on my back porch. This year they're all peaking out and blooming. So cute. Too bad they're too far down to smell!

Gwendalou

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi Mockorange, I would really like to know what that silvary spicked plant is in your first picture? The low one in frount. I like it.
Debbie

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi there Mockorange ~~

I really like the combo of the double daff and the Hellebore! What a nice way to welcome spring each year :-} Very pretty!!

Jamie

ps....the pic is of a clump of 'Red Lady' Hellebore I wasgiven as a bonus plant from Heronswood Nursery, and they are one of my favorite spring plants!

Thumbnail by jamie68
Seattle, WA

The silver plant is Helleborus argutifolius 'Silver Lace' and I bought it (on a whim) at Sky Nursery here in Shoreline. It's also available through Big Dipper Farms in Black Diamond, WA or online.
Interesting information on the leaves, I'll have to try that.
Jamie68, those "Red Ladies" are striking. What a nice bonus. Thanks for posting another picture on the thread. It puts more spring into my spring to get a glimpse of plants I don't have in the garden.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi Mock, I love Sky nursery! My doughter and I go there everytime I come over to visit her there is Shorline. Thanks for the answer about the plant.I have never seen a helleborus like that?
Debbie

Seattle, WA

Hey Debbie,
I just had a chance to read up on your grandaughter on the King 5 website. How is she doing now? (The most recent article I could find was from 2004.) Feel free to DM me if you would rather. There was a very cute picture of her!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.