Seedlings that are Sprouting Carrots and Cauliflower

Columbus, GA(Zone 5b)

I am wondering if carrots and cauliflower need to be thinned prior to planting into the ground? My three year old daughter hep me plant seeds and it appears we have over6 cauliflowers in one pellet and a zillion little baby carrots in a few other pellets, the carrots are pretty fragile? So should I throw them into other pots or wait until we plant the 1 of May and leave be?

I apologize I ama totally noivce to veggie gardening. And everything sprout we planted spouted, so a bit ovewhelmoverwhelmed :-P I have attached the pics with her carrot sprouts the kid loves to plant seeds :-D

Thumbnail by kidncatsndogs
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Cauliflower needs to be one per pot to grow healthily. Any thinned out might [maybe might] be put in another pot. You are running a little late for the best cauliflower eating results as the hot weather of June tends to yellow the heads.

Carrots don't transplant well bare rooted. One per pellet probably would be best.

In any case take good care of your seedlings for your cutey's sake!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

You might just plant the whole pellet with all the carrots in it, undisturbed,
then after a few days and the shock has worn off, thin them out to one per pellet. Carrots don't like to have their roots bothered. Good luck.

Spencer, TN

the big carrot farm i visited in MI once had acres of foot wide rows with the carrots thick as hair. I'd probably stik em in and let them grow awile and thin them a little at a time and eat the babys. I'd carefully seperate the cauli plants and plant a foot apart. as they're transplanted that way all the time anyway.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.