Soil Testing kit

Englishtown, NJ

Hi

Just joined the forum today. I am practically new to all the exciting stuff about lawns, gardens and home and would welcome some input help.

This year before adding the fertilizer, I have decided to test the soil and adjust the Ph level. There are two kits that I am considering one is an electronic tester made by Ferry Morse and the second is made by Rapitest. Would appreciate any guidance I could get on which is as easier / more accurate tool for a layman.

Also as regards fertilizer, is their a real difference between the products made by say Jonathan Green, Scotts, Sta etc. I also have a few bare patches in the lawn that I need to re-seed (probably should have done this in fall). I live in Central NJ and would appreciate any input on seeds brands (some patches are in the shade while others are not).

Thks

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Mira,

I work in lawncare, but in the Midwest.
I am not sure of the accuracy of the home kits for soil testing, we have always used the County Extension office or a private soil testing service - they are not really expensive and much more complete. If you are doing a one time or less frequent testing I would recommend that.

I only know Scott's on your fertilizer list, Lesco at HD is decent also.
What zone are you in?
Al

Lambertville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Mira - I am sending a soil sample to Rutgers. You can get the kit from your local County Extension office as mentioned above for about $10. When I went to the Home Garden School at Rutgers, they gave us the test kits. They recommended that if you do a test yourself, you do not use the electronic tester. I guess there is a kit where you add different things to your soil and see what colors it changes? Not really sure what the other home kit involves. The test from rutgers gives you a short questionaire to fill out and they will make recomendations based on what you are using the site for.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Mira, I believe Consumer Reports tested home soil test kits and found them to be pretty accurate for PH. If that's all you want, it should be fine. I have Rapitest, not familiar with the other brand.
Of course, the extension service test would tell you a lot about your soil beside PH. Ideally, I think the extension service should be done on new garden space. Follow-up with your home test.
Don't know anything about lawn seed. Anyone who doesn't believe me could just check my lawn!
Dave

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

Jonathon Green is comparable to Scott's and I believe much cheaper, many of the lawn care guys here use it for there customers lawns. Can you find the seed called Black Beauty there? Many people here like and it is recommended. Sun /Shade areas will be fine for Black Beauty.
I don't have personal experience with these products I quit mowing 4 yrs ago and only have pasture here(Thank the Lord) LOL(we used to mow a 1 1/2 acre lawn 5 yrs ago and I said NO MORE when we moved.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.