Tree suggestion, please

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

I have an area were I would like to replace a tree that we lost last spring do to very late & heavy snow. This needs to be a specimen tree,since it's right in front of our house & no taller than 15-20' at maturity. We already have maples, tulips, oak, beech growing in the woods around us, I would like this tree to stand out from the other trees. We already have a kousa Dogwood in the front yard and we already have a few Japanese Maples in the back yard. This area will receives morning sun and maybe an hour or two of direct sun later in the day. It is an open area and is brightly lit otherwise. It is probably best if it were an upright (vase shape) habit, but doesn't have to be. It does not have to be deciduous. Blooming is a plus! We are Z5b. Attached is a picture of the area.
Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Shady

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Cornus alternifolia Golden Shadows
Chionanthus retusus
Halesia UConn Wedding Bells
Asimina triloba
Magnolia sieboldii

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Fagus Sylvatica Roseomariginata

I also like the Cornus Alterniflolia Argentia or a Golden Shadow
I don't know if the Cornus contraversa 'Variegata' needs more sun or gets too big

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

The Tricolor Beech would get far bigger than 15-20'. C. controversa too, although both are excellent suggestions.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2006 2:43 PM

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I missed that 15-20 feet limit. How long would it take for the beech to get larger than the 15-20 ft limit? I am looking for a tree for my front yard, but I would have about the same conditions and limitations as Shady. If I bought a 5 ft beech, could I get 15 years out of it before replacement? If so, I might go with it. I think alot of my stuff that I have planned for the front would outgrow it's spot in 20 years or so. Maybe less since there would be mostly conifers.

Eau Claire, WI

Amelanchier is a nice 4-season tree. I've got a multi-stemmed A. lamarckii that is just about ready to flower. Fairly easy to grow, nice form, tasty fruits (birds will harvest before you get a chance), and nice fall color.

I've read many postings over the years about the beauty of Stewartia's, and I think the size and habit might be what you're looking for. I've been tempted to buy one of these, and in a moment of weakness almost shelled out $150 last year while at a nursery over in St Paul. Maybe someone who has experience with this tree could chime in and give their thoughts on it.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Stewartia would surpass that 15-20' limit. I saw an old one at Wavecrest Nursery that was huge(and very impressive).

Tricolor Beech seems to grow 18"-2' per year once established here, perhaps half that for the first couple/three years.

I always plant with the idea of worrying about size later. Why not enjoy a Syewartia for many years, or a Tricolor Beech, and 15-20 years down the road deal with the beautiful tree that grew too large. The average person lives in their house for seven years--enjoy it while you can.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

I vote for Amelanchier laevis.

Thornton, IL

Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Pendula' or Weeping Katsura would complement your garden beautifully. I love what you've done so far. Is that hedge under the window-boxes evergreen? If so, what is it please? ;-)

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

I guess I have to ask based on your "handle" and those beautiful hostas (without deer nibbles) how much sun is involved? I'm way out of zone, but i believe that is important. Don't see any conifers. How about a dwarf grouping of Norway spruce cultivars?

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I like the look of Washington Hawthorn.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Some of those tree suggested get huge! I really would like something that stays small (under 20') I have a feeling that 10-20 years from now we will still be in this house and I really don't want to be replanting. I was looking into Gingko's until I found out they grow 80' LOL!

I would like a tree rather than a shrub. We have a lot of shrubs around the house: Viburnum going down the side of walk, some Yew (which I would like to get ride of someday (another project), azalea, flowering plum. I've attached another picture that was taken a few years ago. It shows the old tree (which I didn't like because I thought it was too big and covered the house. I would love to see the large spruce on the right side go someday but DH wants it to stay. The Kousa Dogwood is in the island (behind the flagpole) The other thing I did not like about the old tree was that is was place in the center of the bed. The next tree will be placed off center a little more to the left, so it doesn't cover the house so much. It's hard to see but there are about 7 clumps of iris in the bed with one large clump of variegated grass all this behind the hosta, which will go if they have to, but would rather they didn't.

PraireGirl-You can't see that there is a walk that goes the entire length of the house. it's about 6-7' from the house. So we have this narrow foundation bed that is planted with yews, azaleas, flowering plum, in font of the house. We really don't like it any more, but for now we are living with it. We had them planted when we first moved here 16 years ago and will someday either rearrange/pitch the plantings. Just haven't gotten around to it. It's the bed in front of this walk where I would like to plant the tree. Your suggestion of the Weeping Katsura is very cool, just too large.

dandlmidd you ask how much sun is involved well this is THE sunniest spot in the yard. It gets sun from about 9-10 AM through early afternoon. The house faces East, south is on the left, the left side of the bed is shaded by the tall trees. But the area is open and bright all day. AND we use liquid fence to keep the deer away, although up in front deer are not really a problem. How large do dwarf NS get??

The suggestions have been great, I am just thinking smaller. Please keep the suggestions coming. I am looking all of these up and learn lots while doing it. Like Asimina triloba I didn't know it but we have two!! I didn't know their proper names, I called them Paw Paw.
Thanks, Shady

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

You've got the big Norway so we know that's not a problem, Cutivars range from a "button mound" to intermediate in height. Of the conifers I believe the Norway spruce gives the most choice. Whether leaf or needle is entirely up to you. Ken

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Interesting suggestions, love Halesia, but probably a bit too large for your preference of something smaller. Immediately thought of Styrax japonica, 'Pink Chimes' is a favorite, but again a little too big and probably would suffer some dieback in your zone, so back to the drawing board. A few other choices I'd recommend:

Syringa reticulata 'Ivory Silk' , 20-30', a beautiful Lilac but very different from the common S. vulgaris and without the usual problems that plague Syringas in general, scale, borer, mildew, etc. Although the flowers don't have the wonderful fragrance associated with Lilacs, they're still very pretty and the butterflies love them. We have one planted near a window in our house where we can look down on the tree and when in bloom, it's literally covered with butterflies!

Heptacodium miconioides, 'Seven-Son Flower', often referred to as a Crape Myrtle for the North, 15-20', 25' at most. Have seen some with a more shrubby form, but the one we have planted in our gardens is a tree form and lovely. Interesting bark, late blooming (Aug-Sept) and the red fruit capsules after flowering are even prettier than the flowers.

Another vote might be for Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy' - 20-30'. With its red-purple foliage, it might look quite attractive in that area. Although too large for your scale, Metasequoia 'Ogon' (or 'Gold Rush') would really stand out in that space with its feathery gold foliage.

Edited to second the votes for Weeping Katsura or Tri-color Beech, both excellent 'specimen' trees.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2006 5:05 AM

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Throwing Franklinia alatamaha in for consideration; it's probably not overplanted in your neck of the woods.

Concord, NH

You've had suggestions of a couple of variegated Cornus alternifolia, and I'll just add that I really like the straight species as well - nice winter branch structure, spring flowers (quite different from other tree dogwoods) that ripen in August to dark berries with bright red stems, and pretty, though not vivid, fall color. Very nice!

Thornton, IL

Weeping Katsura tops out at about 20 feet with a spread of 25-30 feet. ( I know there is conflicting information in the plant files, but I beg to differ.) I urge you to look up examples of this tree for yourself at a botanical garden, if at possible. It is a stunning beauty. Also, I think the cultivar name may be 'Pendulum'. Buy from a reputable source, and you'll get the size you want. I think the conditions you have are ideal for it.

If you like the idea of a weeping tree, why not look at a weeping Higan cherry (Prunus subhirtella 'Pendula')? I know this is very small, and has beautiful showy flowers in spring.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

You guys are wonderful.
Keep the suggestions coming. I am going to be doing some hard core research this weekend to see what we can find.
I have to admit I don't know the names of trees like I know shady perennials. So it's slowing me down a bit, but hey I'm learning a lot here. One thing I do know I wish I could have a larger tree, cause it sure would open up a lot of possiblities! Oh well!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I have not been following this thread, I must admit. But I did see mention of weeping Katsura. Just happened to take a picture of one at Spring Grove Cemetery this week, so voila! Mind you, this tree could easily be a century old.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's a shot of foliage emerging on the weeping branches. Cercidiphyllum has got to be one of my all time favorite trees. The weeping form of this cultivar is just icing on the cake.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Metairie, LA

I am so impressed by the people who can rattle off botanical names. I am fairly well versed in the Quercus species but not too good at any thing else.
This is a great forum.
Coleen

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Shady, I'll try to get some pics for you of our Cercidiphyllum, Katsura, Forest Pansy, and Heptacodium this weekend. Most were planted about 10 years ago and it would give you an idea of what you could expect for size of a 'younger' tree.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Shady, I would not think that Cercidiphyllum japonicum pendulum would get too large for your area. I have had one for 11 years, it is probably 6 feet now. Thought I had a photo of it but can't locate it. Still too dark to take one this morning, it is just starting to leaf out.

Also have a Fagus sylvatica purpurea pendula that is 8 years old and isn't as tall as I am. Nice tree. I'll try to find a photo and send.

DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I was just told this afternoon that the Cercidiphyllum japonicum pendula in the picture is probably not more than thirty years old, and that it was at least half that size just ten years ago! This makes some sense, as regular species katsuras, in moist enough sites, make fairly rapid growth.

Scott

Eau Claire, WI

Following-up on RCN48's suggestion for Japanese Tree Lilac, there's also the Pekin Lilac (Syringa pekinensis) It's not as hardy as JTL, but this wouldn't be an issue in your mild climate (hey, up here z5b is bordering on tropical). Seems to me it stays a bit smaller than JTL too, although someone will probably prove me wrong on that one. There are some cultivars out there, but I never see them offered in my neck of the woods. The bark on Pekin Lilac is more ornamental than JTL, but if like its cousin fall color would be drab. Anyone growing this tree?

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Shadyfolks, have you considered American Hornbeam? It makes a lovely small tree, and it's native. Another plus is, they are not overplanted. American Fringe tree (grancy grey beard) is also a good choice.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Crataegus viridis 'Winter King' - or Winter King Hawthorn. Fits the bill nicely. Great shape - I describe mine as having a martini glass shape. Stays within the general size constraints you are looking for. It is a true four season tree with nice white blooms (they don't smell great but are not very noticeable). It gets decent yellow Fall color and loads of great berries which turn from red to coral and persist for the entire winter since the birds are not crazy about them. In addition, it has a very nice white bark which begins to exfoliate when it is a few years old. Unlike other Hawthorns, this variety does not have many thorns. It is also rust-resistant but mine has gotten some. If you have cedars nearby you will get some.

Victor

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/79367/index.html

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, we went out to talk with nurseryman who is big into Japanese Maples and other deciduous and evergreens. He is sort of an excentric guy and into neat stuff. We explained what we are looking for.He is in process of moving stock from his working location to retail location and asked us to stop back this week and he would have some trees for us to select from then. We shall see....

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I too like the cool stuff. I read the entire thread, here are a couple suggestions:

Picea mariana 'Aureovariegata'
Acer circinatum 'Pacific Fire' AMAZING
Syringa pekinensis is fantastic but will get too wide.

I'll check back in later.

Dax

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I also had thought of: Fagus sylvatica 'Aurea Pendula'.

Dax

Fuquay-Varina, NC(Zone 7b)

Laburnocytisus adamii))
Try this for size.
I just purchased one from Oregon.
There is a full grown one in Kenwood, London. that is absolutely stunning.

Chesapeake Beach, MD

Viburnum prunifolium? I think of it as more of a small tree than a shrub. Probably too much shade for aesculus pavia?

Saline, MI(Zone 5b)

I just put in a magnolia jane. They are fabulous

Beachwood, OH

HI there Shadyfolks - I'll look forward to seeing it in person, but have you investigated the Sambucus? Sambucus Black Beauty or Black Lace would certainly make a specimen planting and remain in your ht considerations.

My first thought was one of the purple leafed beeches or birches, especially a weeping one.
http://www.acornfarms.com/betula_birch.htm

If you want a serious specimen tree - go over to Bremec and check out the Birch Royal Frost altho it will end up bigger than you want. Here is a link to a single trunk one - Bremec had multi-trunk specimens http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dbirch%2520royal%2520frost%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3DFP-tab-web-t%26x%3Dwrt%26fr2%3Dtab-web&w=300&h=452&imgurl=www.soonerplantfarm.com%2F_ccLib%2Fimage%2Fplants%2FDETA-172.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soonerplantfarm.com%2Findex.cfm%2Ffuseaction%2Fplants.plantDetail%2Fplant_id%2F172&size=36.3kB&name=DETA-172.jpg&p=birch+royal+frost&type=jpeg&no=2&tt=6&ei=UTF-8

There is also a new dwarf white barked birch that is supposed to top out at 20'

Wrong shape - but do you have room for Kolkwitzia?
Another idea is witchhazel although I'm not sure the interest is there for yr round.
Acer griseum - the paperbark maple is a smaller tree

An interim idea is Buddleia - I've had them go to 8 ft in 2 years with horse manure tea. You could plant whatever tree you decide on and let the Buddleia give color for a few years. They root easily from cuttings or layering so you could either move it or propagate it.

Last idea for the moment - well I love the magnolias, but if you want something nobody else has - get one of the new cold-hardy camellias that was introduced this spring. White Flower Farms has them. A white or peach colored camellia would be pretty against your brick.

Your DG friend

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, you guys have my head spinning with all these suggestions. There are a number of really good ones if I only had room for a large tree, unfortunately I feel like I am looking for a 'mini' tree on the scale of trees. Alyrics I like your suggestion of dwarf birch I looked some up and found Betula Nigra 'Fox Valley' aka 'Little King', I am liking the idea of multi stem. There have been a number of very good suggestions for shrubs, but we both agree we would like something that is not bushy.Its giving me ideas for possiblities elsewhere in the yard.

I was at the Cleveland Botanical Gardens on Thursday and saw at weeping Katsura, It was really something, but way to large for my site. I also got to see the Red Bud 'Forest Pansy' in bloom and the staff had only great things to say about the tree. I think if I come across one, I will have to get it. I have always wanted a Red Bud and this seems like a great specimen.

We are hoping to do some more shopping this weekend....
Shady

Thornton, IL

Oh, that would be pretty! Did you ever see a paperbark maple, Acer griseum? That is a nice multi-stemmed tree, with exfoliating bark. Check it out too, if you can.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

PrairieGirl,
Yes they are pretty, but my property is FULL of maples, I would say it's the dominating tree here, so I would like something a little different... hummmm...I guess I have the birches too...I forget about them...

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

mlwdad, I took a photo of my Magnolia 'Jane' yesterday. It did suffer some frost damage about 10 days ago but looks good now. I do like the way it has occasional blooms all summer.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Beachwood, OH

rutholive - how big do you expect your magnolia Jane to get?
I bought Jane last year - marked only magnolia Jane - thinking it was a shrub type magnolia. then I went home and looked it up and found that there are 4 different Magnolia Janes - all of different species. A naming nightmare. Mine has a shrub like form at the moment, and the flowers are purple on the outside and lavender/white on the inside.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Tri colored beech grows really slow. They also have a more vertical growth habit. I love mine.

I like the idea of a redbud also. I love those and they do top out at 20 feet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.