Sodding grass paths

North Branford, CT(Zone 6b)

Does anyone in Ct have any experience in having someone lay sod? I am installing a large garden in my front yard--about 7000 sq. ft.-- and would like grass paths between the 5 beds. My husband thought it might be best to sod the pathways rather than seed them at this time of year. I have no idea how much it would cost or when it should be done. Anyone have any advice?

Providence, RI(Zone 6b)

First, make sure the paths are wide enough for a lawn mower to fit through! Second, you must commit to watering as instructed whether you sod or seed or else the whole thing can go up in smoke.

You might want to get estimates for both methods before you start as that is a fairly large area and laying sod might be a heftier expense than you had anticipated. I tend to agree with your husband though about the sod. At this time of year you would have to stay off grass seed for quite some time in order to let it germinate and grow. Fall is the ideal time to seed, but if you wait you'll need a weed control plan for this season. That's a whole different topic!

If you are thinking about a DIY job consider the amount of labor it takes. Having put down sod myself, I can say that it is a great deal of work and one that I would probably be happy to pay someone else to do next time. Hope this helps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.