Too late for Fava beans?

Ada, OK(Zone 7a)

I was hoping someone could tell me if it's too late to start Fava beans? I'm in zone 7a. The night temperatures are in the low 60s and it will be getting into the upper 80s/lower 90s this coming week. I think I should have planted them with the peas in late March... Thank you in advance.

Margo Tilton

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I read to plant them when the daffodils come up - the same time as peas. Ours went in last week. Sounds like you are a little late but what the heck - I say plant some and see for yourself! Maybe someone with some actual experience will chime in :)

-Kim

Chesapeake Beach, MD

When I've grown them before, I've always sown them very early -- in February or early March. I live in a warm zone 7 near the Chesapeake Bay so my winter temps are moderated somewhat and my last frost date is quite a bit earlier than even a mile or so further in-land. Even sowing that early, the favas barely had time to mature before fading in the heat and humidity that can hit here by early June. I never had what I considered a particularly successful crop as a result.

While I have not grown them in a few years, I vowed that the next time I grew favas I would (1) plant in the fall and (2) use a fava-specific legume innoculant. Many of the sources I've read actually recommend fall planting in the warmer zones and this makes sense to me. Also, while my well-amended with compost and composted manure garden soil has never needed innoculant to produce decent pea and snap bean crops, the favas were sulkier and, since I know there are fava-specific innoculants available, I thought I'd try it.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Uh oh - didn't use innoculant here. Oh well, too late now.

Chesapeake Beach, MD

I don't think inoculant is absolutely necessary, but, again, they were balky enough that I thought it was worth giving a try.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.