Georgia Native Plant Sale

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

http://www.gnps.org/ps06ann.htm Thousands of native plants from GNPS plant rescues, our members’ gardens, and nursery donations will be available for sale at reasonable prices.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 from 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. at Piedmont Park in Atlanta.

I have been to their plant sales and they are dangerous!!!!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Are they really reasonable Sterling? Worth a trip to the dreaded Hot'Lanta, lol?

Gay, GA(Zone 7b)

You have peaked my interest sterhill! Do tell us more about this lovely event!

22 is a packed day, but I think if we get up real early we can squeeze it in! Do you think they have a gift for a 2 year old? Next stop is a birthday party, lol!!

GGG

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

They have unusual native plants - like wild azalea, blue cohosh, trillum, paw-paw, Georgia ferns. Lovely things you won't find at the local nursery. They raise some and some are brought from plant 'rescues' where the bulldozers are coming in.

I have not decided if I will go or not. Or at least just take a limited amount of cash and no checkbook!

They had a little sale at Ga Perimeter College and I bought 3 sharpe lobed hepatica ($3 a pot), 2 blue cohosh ($5 a pot), 2 doll's eyes ($5 a pot), a small fothergilla ($10), 3 unusual toad lilies ($3 a pot) and I can't remember what else. Very nice plants. Very tempting plants!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Sounds tempting to me,but the Atlanta traffic is my only draw back,will consider.Mike

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Anybody make it? I was up at 4:20 and in the home depot parking lot at 5:30 lined up to buy broken bag pallets and there was one lady in front of me!! We cleared them out and there were actaully people that were very upset that got there after us ????

Susan

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I made it to the plant sale. Anybody else? I wanted to be first but it just didn't happen. Got some neat stuff though.

Brenda

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Good for you! I love it when I find great plants!! Makes my day. Was it raining on you?

Susan

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hay Brenda - what did you get? The sharp lobed hepatica I bought at their 'little sale' is so beautiful!!!

I didn't go - I was afraid I'd spend too much money. They have wonderful plants.

Also - I am doing 'plant rescues' on my Dad's property. He passed away and left my brother and me the land. Trilliums, ferns, cranefly orchids and that great category - the unknowns. My friend (the master gardner) who goes with me says - "that is SomeThing, look at that wonderful leaf!" I've brought back some small native azalea also that are doing well. Plus there are these wonderful big maples with very small, sharply lobed leaves. I've dug some little ones and they seem to be adapting.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Susan, yes I did get rained on. DH had a huge umbrella and would lean it and dump rain on me. LOL. I got wetter from the umbrella than from the rain. He said he kept trying to give me the umbrella but I said I didn't want it because I'm too short so i would have been in everybody's way.

Sterhill, I got 2 salvias, gentian (not sure if this is native), cardinal flower (don't know why though, I keep getting this and bunnies keep eating it to the ground), ironweed, 2 trilliums, thermposis (sp), sarracena, a hepatica (I think mine is round, though), aconitum and a couple of others I've forgotten. I have had a hepatica from somewhere else and it is not spreading so I wanted to try another location.

Lucky you to have property to look for treasures on. Do you belong to the GNPS? I keep thinking about it so I can go looking for treasures myself.

Brenda

We ended up having to go elsewhere instead of the sale...bummer.

Soulgardenlove, what are "broken bag pallets"?

GGG

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

What I've heard from members of GNPS is that the digs are getting further and further out from town so be prepared if you go... Also, I went on one in July and yes it's hot and another gal got chased down by yellow jackets and of course there is the poison ivy to contend with, and you have to shleep your tools and bags all along unless you decide to leave them for your return trip, which in some cases folks lose them completely... Gee, I just reread that and it sounds quite cynical!! I have friends that are very involved in the digs, but I just assume stay here and grow from seed... of course they are not GA natives, but they are native somewhere!! I've got myself quite busy right now!

Broken bag pallets... Home depot, as other nursery centers, discount and sell the broken bags that get torn up during the week. All HD stores do it differently and the HD garden store on Barrett parkway sells them for more?? This one sells them only on Sat and Sunday, and thats why I was there at 5:30 this past Sat morning and they open at 6AM. There is competition and the ones who came after us were quite perturbed they were not first to get them, which doesn't make sense to me. I told them I would not be there next Sat to give them a better chance! I was quite congradulatory to the woman who got there before I did and the both of us cleared them out. One employee friend told me that the older gentleman that had been very upset claimed that we were contractors out to hussle their clients/jobs and the HD employee knows that I'm a housewife and told him so. I guess he couldn't figure how anyone else would want so many bags!! CAUSE I"M SERIOUS and addicted to GARDENING! THATS WHY!!! They sell the pallets for dirt cheap to move them and it is worth my while to be there and load them. (Even In the rain) Now I don't mind if any of you go to the same one....just don't get snooty with me If I'm there first!!

Also, the city public works department of SMYRNA has a mountain of shredded leaf mold and they LOAD IT FOR YOU if you bring a truck. I've got a load handler for the truck and I line a tarp under it and it has been the easiest load of all to turn right out onto the driveway tarp and return for more. The smell of the leaves is incredible..like sweet tabacco and the center is hot and composting. I could smell it in the back yard the other day. While the leaf pile is large, it will not last through the summer, so get it while you can. I'm going back mulitple times and will hire help if need be to get it out into the places I want it. it's the best stuff.

And lastly, Dekalb county provides free composted organic material... but you load it yourself and it is a job!! I wish they would load, but they say its a liabitlity... hmmmm, better drivers in Smyrna I guess!!

Happy Gardening!!

Susan

This message was edited Apr 25, 2006 8:47 AM

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I had to laugh about the yellow jackets - we found snakes! Plus is is hard, sweaty work - climbing over fallen trees and it is hot, even for April. But so many beautiful things. I do know about GNP rescues but right now we are doing our own rescues!

Thumbnail by sterhill
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yikes! Snakes! ewwwwwwww... Occupational hazzard huh!!???

Well, I falied to mention that the poor woman was continuing to get stung and I saw them on her shirt and I highly suggested for her to remove her shirt to get them all off. She hesitated due to modesty and any guy within viewing distance quickly departed as soon as her girlfriends were out. She got them off the shirt, redressed and departed :(

Those little buggers are nasty! My poor son was stung a few times after the john deere engine noise brought them out of their hole. I couldn't wait for DH to pour gas down that hole at night. I was so upset for my baby, but thankfully he wasn't detered from being my little gardener and helper.

Susan

This message was edited Apr 25, 2006 10:32 AM

Susan, Dekalb has reduced the number of mulch facilities it drops off too. Now I know of only two, which are not close enough for the hubs. We have to load in trashcans and make several trips. That is insane so now I order mulch. I LOVE that Dekalb county mulch. It's black gold and has taken my soil from clay to beautiful black yumcious soil by digging it right in.
I wish my buddy Max where not moving. He'd go for that pallet thing in a heartbeat.
Gone are the days when Georgians are happy to wait in lines at the stores just so they can have a polite chat and meet a new friend, eh?

So you are not going to HD this weekend? I was hoping someone could check on the roses that are advertised as being on sale. They aren't super cheap, but I wanted to know what kind they are. I need some Easy Goin' on own root. The advertised looked like possibly Easy Livin'. I am afraid they are flowercarpet with whom I do not get along with :)

GGG

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

GGG, I know it's far for ya, but since I have the truck and it's free, it's worth it to make the drive every so often when I can.

Have fun if you go to HD!

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.