New Flowering hybrid

Louisville, KY

Thought I would share some new pics of a recent hybrid flower. I figured it was pretty cool looking but this is the first bloom.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

another pic of the flower

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Wiping drool off my keyboard.

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

Wow! That is stunning!

(Zone 5b)

Stunning is a perfect word.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

So pretty Brian! The color reminds me of some kind of tropical drink that I'd like to have!

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

That first pic is fabulous......love the dew drops (or water droplets) on it.....should be the pic of the day. What's this ones name, Brian?

Louisville, KY

No name yet this was its first flower ever so will be thinking up names for it soon I am sure.

Thornton, IL

Very faboo! I would love to have some. ;-)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful - I love the way the colors softly merge into each other.

Louisville, KY

I have a ton of new stuff about to bloom all of them look to have somewhat amazing flowers. This one I really like and so far all the comments have been very possitive. I was looking at it much closer on here so thought I would show the crop pic of the flower up really close.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Brian, that is a must have when it is available.

Louisville, KY

Well in most cases I grow them out this year, as this is a new hybrid and the only one I have. If it keeps this look which I believe it will. It makes the cut from the worthy enough to name group. Once it does that I have to see how many I have. If less than 20 then I have to have another year to propagate it. If it grows really well it will be released but very limited and usually a bit high. Due to how few and rare it is at the time. Next season it could be out though.

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

I dont know how many times I have opened this tread to look and DROOL over this stunning Canna flower. It remindes me of a warm summer sunset and it is breathtakingly beautiful.
Janett

Saint Ignace, MI(Zone 5a)

Brian: those are some of the most magnificent colors I've every seen. You'll have to keep us all posted as the process goes on. Once you're ready to start selling, you'll probably be sold out a year or two ahead of time. She's a beauty!!!
Rhonda

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

I have one of Brian's new cannas - "Blushing Amanda". She's going great and already has a bloom started! Brian, how tall is she supposed to get? I am surprised at 18" she's forming a bloom. Also, since I thought she was taller, I placed her next to my fence at the back. Can I move her now to the front so she can be enjoyed more?
Thanks!

Louisville, KY

blushing amanda gets about 3 to 5 feet tall. It can bloom a bit early but usually 4 feet is your usual size. You can move it now but try to not disturb the roots and water well after moving and it may not notice at all.

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

I want that!!!!!!!

Marcie

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I am still lusting after purple canna, but this one has to be a close 2nd. Wouldn't this one be great planted close to one of the plumies Kaneohe sunburst or sunrise? absolutely gorgeous, brian.

Louisville, KY

Thanks I will be sure to post more as it blooms.

Northern, VA(Zone 7a)

'Rainbow Taffy' is my suggestion for a name. ; ) Not that you asked.

Louisville, KY

LOL good name I will consider it. I usually dont think to hard on the names but now that my girlfriend has shown interest in naming cannas it seems I have to run them by her each time. LOL.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Being the pink lover of the group, this one is extremely nice....And I still agree with Vossner, we're waiting to see the pinkish purplish one you started showing last year....that one really peaks my interest!

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

This one reminds me of a the complexion fo a Georgian Southern Belle...Peaches and Cream...with a touch of Strawberry blush. I'm making myself hungry!

Elizabethton, TN(Zone 7a)

I like Julia's suggestion of Rainbow Taffy (not that you asked me either).

Louisville, KY

That is a good name I will have to run it by the girlfriend and others. I dont like naming a canna on the first set of flowers but if it keeps this look that may end up being its name. THANKS

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

That is gorgeous... It reminds of a Fijian Sunrise... I love Fiji and those are the colors that their sunrises always were... wow... incredible...
Brittany

Louisville, KY

I thought that I would share that this seems to be a hybrid between a dark leaf canna and a regular green leaf canna. It has sense started to show darker streaking in the leaves. I will post photos soon

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Great--I enjoyed this picture so much. A beautiful canna it is.

Shirley

Leander, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow that is a breathtaking bloom!!!! Gorgeous!

Louisville, KY

Here is the same plant in full sun. It seems it has a bit different looking flower possible the sun is bleaching it out for now or maybe not. The leaves now have this odd dark maroon to purple streaking in the leaves. It is not virus but almost a odd form of variegation. I believe this hybrid was with a dark leaf canna and a green leaf form. Which is why I am seeing this odd streaking coloration in the leaves. It may fade or get darker with age we will have to see.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

another look of the flower in full sun

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

the dark streaks and coloration in the leaves.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Does the variegation seem to stay, or fade as the leaf matures? It's a very interesting combo between leaf and blossom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.