Another question

Hello - the end of last summer when my fuchsia had died off I was told to complete cut them back - so I did - was this necessary ....... could I have left them as they were, then this summer new little branches grow from the old one, therefore making them bigger plants - like I have said in a previous posting - I am sooooooooo new to gardening, but want to learn

You could but then the whole plant would eventually become too woody and the leaves only showing up on the younger branches. Pruning then becomes difficult. If you cut fuchsias back each year they will grow back stronger and bushier each time.

once again BAA thankyou for your advice, it is brilliant, I feel I am starting to get to grips with my garden, my fuchsias are slowly starting to grow back, but I did move them last year, so maybe they might not grow as well as they did the year before, but its interesting to see......

Sammi you are more than welcome! It may be the move that has slowed their growth, it may be that they aren't too keen on their current position but give them a year before moving again. We have a very tender fuchsia (F. fulgens) which never appears much before June, it is grown outside although it shouldnt really survive there. It has never flowered before the end of August but puts on such a beautiful show right up until October when the ground frosts knock it down.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.