scented geraniums

Knoxville, TN

can anyone tell me how to do cutting on my 4 new scented
geraniums.my sister gave me 4 big ones,2 apricot,2 rose/lemon scented.i want to do cuttings
luv nana

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Nana: Your cuttings should be 4 to 6 inches long. Remove the leaves all the way up, but leave the top leaves. Make a final cut right below a leaf node [where the leaf was attached to the stem]. Dip the cut end in rooting hormone and stick in potting medium,[vermiculite, sand or potting soil] Your cutting should be placed down at least a couple of inches in the potting medium. Water well, cover container with plastic bag that you have cut several holes in for ventalation. Secure bag to pot with rubberband. Keep an eye on them and in about 6 wks to 2 months you should have new plants. You know they are taking root when you see new growth, or tug gently on them and you feel resistance. Then you can remove the plastic and you have new plants.
P.S. The leaves you take off the cuttings, don't forget to dry them.

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 14th 11:01 PM

Brasstown, NC

Anyone have experience propagating a Coconut Scented Geranium? Thanks

smoo,
I don't bother with the coconut. It reseeds all over the place. Just dig up the babies and put them where you want.
I also have one in a pot on my porch. I put some pots with soil below it and in the fall I have several that have been seeded there that I can pull in for the winter.
Dk

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.