Shasta daisy disease?

Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

I bought these shasta daisies (becky variety) from a nursery and they were fine. A few days ago I planted them and now they are covered with white spots that don't rub off. Any clues to what is wrong?

Thumbnail by jxmas
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

That is funky!! Doesn't look like a fungus, did you look underneath to see if there was some small pest doing that? Or the plant is shocking and showing it in some weird way that I have never seen. How long a time between when you bought them and you planted them?

Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

I haven't seen anything that looks like a pest underneath the leaves. Maybe the pests are too small for me to see yet??? I got the plants on Wednesday and planted them Friday. It rained heavily on Friday night and all Saturday and its been sunny since. Temps are low 60s in the day and low 40s at night.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Might just be sunburn, in looking closely at the new leaf, i don't see the spots. When you have water droplets on leaves, they can magnify the sun in effect and sunburn the plant. If it is, nothing terminal or contageous.

X

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

One more thing to check for, thrips. Hold a sheet of plain white paper under a leaf and gently flick the leaf. The thrips will fall onto the paper so you can see them. They are brownish or orangish and teeny tiny, but you can see them moving on the paper.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Perhaps it is oedema. That is when the plant takes in more water than it can transpire through the leaves. Occurs often under conditions that you describe. Fortunately, it isn't fatal. See http://extension.usu.edu/plantpath/ornamentals/o_oedema.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.