dh, weedeater & clematis, not a good combo

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

okay dh has done it AGAIN, this time with a clematis that i salvaged from an old house. i have babying this thing.
i walked outside just in time to see paul bunyun effortless waste this clematis.
can anyone tell me how i can save the stalks? they are all green stalks, no hardwood. i dug it this spring and because the root ball was so huge, i cut it back completely to give the roots time to establish.
i know the root ball will be fine, but id like to try to get the cuttings (haha) to root. i have them in water now.
thanks.
ahhhh the joys of saturdays and yard work

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

MsJen,I have no clue what to do about the cuttings-I'm not very good at rooting,but I saw a program about clematis.They said you should plant them with the root ball about 6-8 inches under ground.That way,if a over achiver goes after the plant, the crown of the plant won't be damaged.I lost 4 clematis to various pests- dogs , kittens, kids,then I did what they said.Haven't lost one since.No matter how many times they damage it ,they always come back now

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks for that tip on planting..with 7 dogs and 3 new clematis, I think they will be sunk deeper in the fall. I hate to dig them up now as I only put them in the ground a week ago
S

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.