Transplanting Sunflowers Deep?

Niskayuna, NY, United States

Hi all -

Do you think it would help to transplant sunflowers deep (similar to tomatoes)?

I am debating whether I should start the seeds in a pot and then transplant, or just start them in the garden in a few weeks. I want them to be sturdy plants because they ALWAYS fall over.

Thanks,

Anne

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I have the best results direct seeding them, but if you start them in pots, try doing it outside in a vented cold frame or something similar. Plenty of light and breeze early on is important to keep them stocky and strong, since their shallow root system and height make em vulnerable enough.

You could try deep transplanting on a few and report back to us what happens.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

It seems when I transplant them they end up getting a bend in the stem from the 'lag or adjustment' from moving. They grow fine from seed, I have seeded them before the last frost even.

these were direct seeded
http://davesgarden.com/journal/d/i/9067/

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

A trick I learned for sunflowers when starting in pots is to brush your hand gently over the tops of the seedlings a few times a day to encourage strong stem cell growth. I usually start them in 8 oz styro cups with a peat based potting mix. Once they are about 6 - 8 inches tall, I'll put them in the ground or in a container. Last year I grew some in a container and was astonished at how well they did!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I've heard of this great idea a few times now. Someone recommended it for brugmansias, so I'm dutifully stroking them daily. Makes a lot of sense; we'll see how they turn out. I'm planting sunflowers this year too, so I'll try the same thing with them.

This hand brushing accomplishes the same thing as wind would.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

lol
Physical therapy for plants.
I just planted Red Sun sunflowers in the ground, some deep, some really deep, like tomatoes. I kept some others aside in case these fail. What low temp can sunflowers take?

The little volunteers that came up two weeks ago weathered a 32 degree frost fine. A transplant might be a bit less hardy depending on levels of exposure to date but I think okay.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

They've been outside for at least a week.
Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.