Aphids on Honeysuckle vine

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Last year I bought a honeysuckle vine at a local nursery. It has orange flowers when it blooms. I think it was called Dropmore. I noticed this week that it is just covered with aphids. I wanted to give it a good spray of Sevin, but there are ladybugs on the plant and I don't want to kill them.
I know I can shoot a spray of water and get them to fall off.
My question is, though, is this type prone to aphids? I never had this type before and the other honeysuckles I have aren't bothered by aphids or any pest for that matter. If it is going to attract aphids this badly, I am worried about my other plants that are neary.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Yes, this is the bane of this plant - spraying them off with water works, and too keep them at bay, spray soapy water every week and rinse the soap off after 30 minutes.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Once that honeysuckle gets established, no amount of aphids in the world will harm it :) It's tough and fast growing (usually!).

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

That's good to know because it is a pretty vine with colorful flowers that I hope will help feed our hummingbird visitors.

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 5b)

In the spring when I spray my fruit trees, I usually include my honeysuckles as well. I just spray them with dormant oil and that has kept the aphids away. Good Luck!

LD:)

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I gave them a good spray today with a jet of water and knocked off some. I will probably get more serious with them in a day or so. LOL They have been warned.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.