Castor bean start

Indianapolis, IN

Hi ya ,trying to start castor beans and each year not many comeup indoors or out.I like them alot but never get many to show.In need of good help Thanks

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I don't do anything special. I just wait until the soil warms, then directly plant them in the garden. Mine will even reseed if I do not pick the seed pods off. Good luck.

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

My wife always soaks them for 24 hours. That seems to increase the germination rate.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

If you're growing seed from past years that you saved yourself, you might have an 'inbreeding' problem that makes the seed hard to grow. Try buying a new packet. And I agree, soak overnight, and nick the seedcoat before planting.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

DX,

Here is another possible method. Place them in a 6 inch pot with good potting soil, get the soil wet, seal in a plastic bag and set them on a block of wood (1x4) and set both them on top of the hot water heater. Check them after 2 days and everyday after. Make sure the bag is clear so you don't have to open it. This is known as bottom heat, works well in cold climates for tropical seeds.

Indianapolis, IN

Well thanks,This year I have more seedlings than normal for me.Close to 100%,all the other years not to much luck.I think their pretty neet when they big.Thanks again for the tips

HI, All.
Just noticed this thread. I adore castor bean plants(trees). Ha.
I hope I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence, but....do you all know that every part of the plant and seed pods is highly poisonous? If you have them in an area where small children play,or even pass by-please be sure to keep the seed pods picked off-where they can reach them. Animals seem to avoid like the plague-guess they automatically know the plant is poisonous.
I plant 2 or 3 every year, but am digilent about keeping the lower seed pods pulled off, and to caution any parent that comes around with little ones.
Just FYI.
Deanna

Thornton, IL

Thanks Deanna, I didn't know that!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I have volunteers from last year, if anybody wants one already started.

I have three little plants sitting in a glass of water by my sink. Somebody said they would take them for postage, but then changed her mind. Before I commit planticide, does anybody want them? Send me a d-mail.

This message was edited May 25, 2006 10:24 PM

I started my seeds in those little peat pots that you add water to and watch it grow. Make a hole in it, push the seed in and cover it with a bit of the peat stuff. I water them very very well, almost mushy. I put a plastic wrap tightly over the container. In about 4 days, they sprouted for me. Take the plastic off when they sprout and keep moist. Then take the whole little peat container and plant it outside. Worked great for me.

Crystal

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

I folded a piece of sandpaper, and sanded a 'V' in the seedcase, with the fold of the paper. Worked well - they all came up. Too many, in fact - don't have room for all of them in my garden.

Steve

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.