transplant Love-in-a-Mist?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I am going to sow some of these in my greenhouse and transplant them to a historic property after danger of frost has passed. Will they transplant well?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

If you grow them in containers (cell packs or whatever) and they are rooted well enough, they should transplant fine, and you make sure they don't dry out after you plant them for about a month . I bought and planted my Nigella and thats all that you are going to do. They do reseed fairly well, so you are going to have more than what you planted in the area after a year. Good luck!

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Betty, it has been my experience that these do better if sown directly. They grow quickly though.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9a)

They have a deep taproot and do not transplant well. I was able to transplant mine only because I was aware of this and transplanted them when there were only two leaves on the seedlings in the ground. I dug up alot of soil around them and transplanted all of soil along with the seedling to another site. Once they are done blooming, collect the seed. You'll have tons for next year. Much better to sow them directly.

Ok, I planted some in pots in my GH and will sow others on-site and see what happens. Don't know what I would do without you folks here.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9a)

Sacrifice one and you'll see how amazingly long the taproot is.

OK, should be interesting.

(Zone 6a)

They can be sowed as soon as the soil can be worked in spring.

Steve

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

keep in mind everyone that this plant is sold in a pot and people buy them and plant them with no problem. I agree, in one sense that it is easier to just sow them outside, but then you have to water them if it doesn't rain.
The problem with a plant that has a taproot that is established is getting it out of the ground and transplanting it. Planting a plant with a taproot that you have started from seed and transplanted into a container at a young stage in the seedlings life is no big deal. You are not disrupting the taproot-unless you allowin to become so rootbound that you have to cut the taproot because it has grown thru the bottom of the pot and you can't get it out.

(Zone 6a)

I wish they sold them in pots here...

Lodi, CA(Zone 9a)

They don't sell them in pots here, but they grow so easily from seed that it doesn't matter. I love the blue ones. They're just beautiful, but they burn up fast here in the hot sun.

(Zone 6a)

This year I am trying a yellow one called 'Transformer'
It looks pretty neat.

This is for a historic house site. The problem is keeping thing watered. But this is a fairly rainy area so if it is true to form here, we will get plenty of rain.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.