Photo

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Went out into my back yard this earlier this evening, admiring all my pretties and low and behold on one section of only one branch of only one plant..........

This is Abellia Edward Goucher- and for those who live in my area, we have had a very mild winter and are preparing for what will be a really, really bad year w/ bugs! Anyway, for those of you who's weather hasn't warmed up enough yet, thought this might make you thank your lucky stars!

Thumbnail by aprilwillis

And since I know that you will not be able to get enough, here's another shot.

Thumbnail by aprilwillis
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks both for the aphid shot and the abelia shot. i've been contemplating an abelia for a long while. how fast, in your opinion, do they grow? and are they a worthwhile garden plant? thanks, debi

Debi
This is a dwarf variety and I don't have any info on the larger size or other varieties. The 1st year I planted it I was not too sure, it didn't seem to be doing well, but this year, the second year, it really does look nice. Last year it had a few flowers and wasn't very leafy if you know what I mean. Now lots of leaves, no flowers yet this season, but it's early. I don't think it's a super fast grower and for what I was looking for that is perfect- I can't use a plant in that spot that takes over the world. I like it, I recommend it- the leaves are very pretty, nice green, drought tolerent when established and this one has nice, small, pink flowers.
Hope this helped. And this is the 1st and only time I have seen any insects on it- w/ the exceptionally mild winter we had I have been expecting more than the usual amount of bugs! It's going to be a long summer!
April

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.