My vision for a terrarium

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I've been brainstorming and would like to solicit your ideas. I'd love make a terrarium out of my 20 gallon aquarium. It has a flourescent fixture in the lid, and I can outfit that with a good quality light. What I'd like is to install a small fountain pump and create a waterfall environment in the terrarium, complete with sandstone and other rocks. I envision a miniature landscape with moss and small-leaved plants. Think Lord of the Rings kind of elvin forest beauty.

Suggestions? Pictures? Bring it on! =)

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Well if you figure it out let me know. Actually I think you could make/purchase a small fountain and put it inside, have to hide the electrical cord under growth, etc. and then just run it up the back/corner. There are lots of miniture plants that you could use and plenty of mosses that are great. Now that I have your vision let me give it some thought and see what I can come up w/- of course others will come up w/ better ideas sooner than I will. Good luck and post pictures.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I was thinking I could make a vine-textured cord cover to hide the cord, maybe cover it with a half slice of bamboo, even.

Actually thats a good idea, the bamboo- it would really look nice- the vine-textured cord cover is beyond my imagining, what would you make it out of?

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Sounds like a great idea :)

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

They have some great terrarium waterfalls on ebay right now :) I just thought I would share that :)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I was thinking I could take PVC pipe and paint it to look ruddy, maybe texture it with something before painting it. But bamboo would be easier. LOL

I will have to stay away from eBay! Hah! Actually, I have a scrapbooking tote I'm saving for (a Crop In Style XXL tote)...and I need to put off nickle and diming that tote away.

Here is a ready made, not too expensive, something to think about.
http://www.blackjungle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=EX-WS&Category_Code=S&Store_Code=BJTS

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the link, April.

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

I just posted pics of my aquarium turned terrarium on the thread "Cookie Jar". I should have started my own thread probably.

Anyway, I am thinking that having a waterfall over that rock with the holes in it would be very cool, so if you find a good way to make the waterfall work, I would love to try it. Very cool idea.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.