Shishigashira spring

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Here is the promised pic(s) of my new JM addition, Acer Shishigashira 'aureum'. It is so far still in its container, but will be in the landscape in the next few weeks.

Here are some nice fat buds waiting to open. Guess those large leaves need lots of room inside them.

Laura

edit 4/15/06 Doh!!! [smacking my head with my hand] I am really embarrassed to say that I should have named this maple Acer Shirasawanum 'aureum'. The day I was reading up on maples, I read a lot about the shishigashira, and it must have been stuck in my brain and came out my fingers instead of the correct cultivar. I am surprised no one has called me on it yet, LOL! Here's a link to the plant files that shows what it really looks like.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/58335/index.html

This message was edited Apr 15, 2006 10:04 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

More pics. Interesting, but it is budding out from the bottom up!

Thumbnail by largosmom

Man, just realized I need to clean up the porch, lol!

More leaf buds.

Thumbnail by largosmom

A few days later, this one takes its time, doesn't it?

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Some take more time than others. It always amazes me when one of my trees explodes into leaf while others take quite awhile. The slow ones are very nice. It gives you more time to enjoy the leafing out stage of the tree.

Another pic:

Thumbnail by largosmom

And one I really like, backlighting the leaves.

Thumbnail by largosmom
San Jose, CA(Zone 8a)

Lovely pix, especially the last backlit one. What did we do before digital cameras? (Oh, I guess we spent more time actually gardening while we're in the garden!) Seriously, isn't great to be able to document all the wonderful (and occasionally tragic) stuff that goes on in the yard.

See my edit on the original post, I made a mistake when I typed the name of the cultivar...it is Shirasawanum, not Shishigashira. Boy, I gotta stop hanging out here, I can't keep things straight anymore! I'm sorry,

Laura

Suzette, I should have said thank you for the very nice compliment!

The Shirasawanum has almost fully opened, but the top few buds on last year's growth. I think the shape is nice and full down low. I also got to see some mature ones at the nursery today, gorgeous! It will be so much fun to watch this one grow up.

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.