Have question difference between snail and corkscrew leaves

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I bought a corkscrew vine off of ebay...Is there a difference between the leaves of snail vine and corkscrew vine...I sure hope I got the right one..

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Best I can do is give you a picture of my corkscrew and see if you can tell any difference. Hope this helps, Jody.

Thumbnail by Brugie
Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Brugie,Mine kind of look like the younger leaves on your photo,mine don't seem as flat along the tops where they join the stems...oh I hope I have the right plant...I sent my friend my snail vines last fall...wish I still had one here to compare the two...I think the snail vine blooms sooner than the corkscrew vine...am I right? doesn't the corkscrew vine bloom in late summer and fall?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Snail vine will have some red/purple in the stems and petioles while corkscrew won't.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you very much...I don't see any red,maybe I have the right one...I sure hope so.:-) Thanks again

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I have both and I have never noticed the red/purple in the stems. Now I'll have to go look.
Where's that flashlight. LOL.
Jan...

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

My snailvine never bloomed....I think I was growing a weed. LOL! No, it did have a couple of flowers, but it went all over the flower bed so I tore it out and tossed it. Yes, the corkscrew vine does bloom late summer and fall for us in the Midwest.

My snail vine blooms almost year round and is blooming well right now. The corkscrew on the other hand had a setback due to a few cold nights and is just rebounding. I have about 7-8 corkscrew vines seedlings and will be planting some on an arch trellis I just put up so we'll see how it goes.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

That will be awesome to look at and smell. You must have to cut the snail vine back a lot to keep it under control.

Right now, I have a 3 ft high chain link fence that butts up to the neighbors 6 ft privacy fence and I am letting it run the length of the fence with the hope of covering it since it is old and rusty. It's easy enough for me to trim if I have to but it will be quite awhile before it reaches that point. You just have to watch the runners that want to take off from the fence along the ground. I just redirect them back to the fence or snip them off.
Jan...

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I fell in love with them when I saw it at the MO. botanical gardens last fall...oh it smelled so good and was huge... ;-) I love to feel the flowers kind of like plastic.lol.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.