White Fly

Ladson, SC(Zone 8b)

I just purchased two beautiful passion vines from a roadside nursery. When I unloaded them at home, I noticed a bunch of white flies swarming around them when I sat them on the ground. I sprayed them off really hard with the waterhose....will that be enough to do it or do I need to spray with some sort of pesticide? If so, what would be the best?

Thanks!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I have heard of several getting pretty good results from using 1 TBS. of Murphy's Oil soap mixed into a gallon of water. Can't hurt to try it as long as they aren't in the sun when you do it.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

From what you describe, they're probably pretty badly infested. There will be whiteflies in several stages on the plant, everything from eggs to all stages of nymphs. Unless you use some kind of systemic, you're going to have to spray several times to get rid of them.
Orthene, Imidicloprid(Grubex, Marrathon, Merit and some Bayer products) and Disyston(in some Bayer products)are systemics. You apply according to package directions one time.
Neem, Avid, Safer's Soap, Horticultural Oil and a few others are not systemic and you will have to spray more than once. Neem and Avid are both good and will give good control of whiteflies. Neem contains an insect growth inhibitor, but I don't think it affects the eggs. Avid is supposed to kill eggs and nymphs but I don't think it kills adults.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Just a thought but next time get them sprayed before you get home many of the adults you sprayed off will set up shop in you other plants. Source of white flys in Montana is only in the green house. Probably not in SC. Good luck. We always check our plants in the nursery and have the nursery treat our plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.