Wooohooo..the forum is here!

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

I go away and come back to such a LOVELY sruprise :) We have OUR terrarium forum :)
And Keyring is here which is even more awesome :) we can learn so much from her :)

Ok here are some of my pictures..I just started this forum :) Be kind everyone..it is only a start

Thumbnail by Chris_Lorry
Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by Chris_Lorry
Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by Chris_Lorry
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Chris,

Your layout looks good.

You will find as things take off that you may have to remove some of them. I see a palm that will probably grow out the top and the strawberry geranium (saxifraga) will fill the whole tank eventually (it loves the great outdoors). Also the variegated jade plant will probably prefer a drier place but seeing how you have it raised it may do okay.

Can you give some of the names of the other plants?

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

I put terra cotta under the succulents..and just going to see how they do :) the Parlor palms..I just put in to fill space since I still don't have enough in there.

What is strawberry geranium? I didn't know I have geranium in there!

LOL..I am still new to a lot of these plants..I just keep and eye and see how is happy and who is not ;) I know the oxalis won't be able to stay in there forever either :) But I LOVED it and may put it outiside some day, (the red fern looking think on the side.

I have a begonia in the back (I dont' know which one)

In the front is columnea stavenger, chirita tamiana, ramblin lassie African violet trailer, a sinningia mini called cherry sprite, light prince columnea in the back, dont' know that the pink stuff is :), bamboo grass (which I will need to keep cut back) also known as house bamboo, there are several episcias in there also

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

hiya,

it looks good! space is tricky with a terrarium - always seem to start out underplanted, and before you know it things are taking over! Good to be prepared to move things out etc.

fyi, the columnea light prince and broget stavenger both reportedly need cool winters to set buds (which is why I don't grow them).... but a terrarium is a good place to get them going to a good size.

Chris,

It's not really a geranium or a begonia or a strawberry. The nickname is strawberry geranium or strawberry begonia (????). It is saxifraga stolonifera. It is a great ground cover for shade (can be somewhat dry shade) and has small white blooms about this time of year.

Here is a picture of some of mine a couple of years ago.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Key..oh crap ..if they need cool winters..I will be in serious trouble :) we are not known for our cool temps here :)

Ah thanks Hcm..I had no idea what that was...a friend of mine just gave it to me and I thought it was a begonia :)...LOL....well I will be prepared to move that one on out!

I also bought 2 3 gallon terrariums on EBAY :) they were cheap too :) and I love them!
I am going to put mini sinningias (which I have a huge order for) in at least one of them...and the second one I think I am going to put episcias in..or maybe more sinningia...I think Keyring got me addicted.

hey Keyring...speaking of that...I have cherry sprite in the terrarium..its bulb looks like a huge onion...can I split that? If so you want some?

Chris,

You can get 10 gallon aquariums at Wal-Mart for around $9.50. Not sure how that compares with the eBay buys.

Here is a picture of my last 10 gallon aquarium from Wal-Mart. I'm just using it as a humidity chamber until I can move these begonias outdoors. There is about an inch layer of pea gravel so I can keep the pots out of any water I pour into the bottom. The plants are 'Northern Lights', 'Caravan', and 'Orange Rubra' all from Logees still in their original pots.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful HCM
I think I paid like 15.00 a piece but these are mirrored in the back which I thougth was cool for the micor minis...give you a more angle look :)

I also have the 20 gallon which I bought at a petstore for 30.00..it is a 20 gallon long which fits perfectly on my bakers rack.

I want to get more tanks though..so I will definitely look at walmart :)

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow HCM, that is beautiful. What all do you have in there?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.