Bluebells in west KY.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

These lovely little guys were blooming their heads off and I just had to go get some pictures...I walked across a very large muddy cornfield to the creekbank.

I saw them blooming from the road and I guess it was about 200 yards to where I had to go. It looks like they have sprouted where someone has used a bulldozer to push soil up along the creekbank to make an earthen dam to control flooding.

Thumbnail by melody

How pretty, melody, thanks for taking that walk!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The fragrance was wonderful too...I knew that they had a scent, but have never been near this many at once...very light and fresh, not heavy.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Hmmm, thinking about DD's river side.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It was in Dexter Kathleen...on the right side of the road....same little river....should be plenty of seeds. I hear they don't transplant well. (it was tempting though....)

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

could be she already has some, although they wer there last week and she didn't say anything. They are coming up this week for Easter.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

These are the most I've ever seen just growing wild...usually, it's one or two here and there. For some reason, they have multiplied tremendously right in this spot. Melissa will have to see if she has any for sure....I know that they don't need a riverbank to survive...so they could be anywhere on the property.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I told her this morning and she said, "Hmmmm." Wonder where she got that from! She has to work tomorrow and they are leaving after Adam gets done work on Thursday. It's a two day trip when you're as pregnant as she. I can't wait. I'll show her this thread when they get here. lol, a Kentucky thread for a Kentucky girl viewed in NY.

My bluebells are just little bunches of leaves, just shading to green from their first purple. I think these came from Springhill 40 years ago. When they find a place they like, they are persistant.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

You can tell her that these are on the 'old road' headed toward Murray. They are back off the road where they put in the two new bridges, on the right, at the end of the soybean fields.

Hope they have a great trip...I know that you're dying to see them.

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

Melody, that picture took my breathe away! I have had a clump of those struggling for several years so I decided to move them last year hoping they would like a new spot better and increase. When I couldn't remember where I put them this spring, I went and purchased two new plants from a nursery and planted them. They were so happy in the pots, looked so healthy and perky. Two days after I put them in the ground, they began to sulk. Then the slugs found them and tried to finish them off. They are still alive but still not happy. I am happy to say, the older clump I thought I had lost did survive and is growing but still hasn't bloomed. Does anyone here know how to give these beautiful plants what they want so they will grow and spread? I sure would like any suggestions. Mine are planted in a shady bed enriched with compost, mulched with leaves in the winter. I have ferns and hostas growing there and they all seem to be doing well. I just have a real weakness for blue flowers and especially these Virginia bluebells. Thanks.
Shirley C in Maryland

Northern, AR(Zone 6b)

This is the white form of Mertensia, I dig and take these up to the house whenever I spot one coming up as to protect the color of the Species. Note on next picture of the result of the white and the blue hibritizing.

Bill

Thumbnail by moko
Northern, AR(Zone 6b)

.....A lavender or lilac color is produced, note the blue in the bottom left corner for compairson.

Thumbnail by moko
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

wow...haven't seen any of those guys..but will keep my eyes peeled.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.