terrarium strata

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

hi all,

this is what I'm currently using for my basic terrarium floor. Hydroton (expanded clay pellets used as media in hydroponics), mesh, peat-based mix (sterilized by baking).

What is working for you?

Thumbnail by Keyring
Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

To early to say what is working for me. I just started mine like a week ago :) Right now I have a bed of peastone and soil over it.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey you guys, nice to see you.
In my one little tiny terrarium I have sand in the bottom.

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

I used cleaned aquarium gravel mixed with charcoal chunks, then good potting soil, then moss to cover the top of the dirt and the front edge to keep the layers from showing. I put in two small AVs and buried their pots. That way if they don't do well, I can snatch them out of there, but everything else is in the soil and has been there for three weeks or so. I have a small maidenhair fern, a couple of pepperomias, tiny mondo grass, a couple of different ivy, and a new air plant I just received as a gift.

I really love the terrarium and so does everyone who comes here. It's sure a lot less trouble than it was as an aquarium.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

And the other end.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

That looks great! How are the AVs doing?

Tucson, AZ

for drainage and to reduce the weight of the tank (i use fish tanks), i like to recycle packing peanuts or use chunks of styrofoam. on top of that is a layer of charcoal, and then good quality potting soil that may be amended for drainage. it's worked great for years!

a question for you all: how often do you change your substrate?

-ming

Ming
Good idea- I have used peanuts in outdoor potted plants for the weight issue and frankly I just don't know what to do with the dang things! They have worked out well in large outdoor pots that do tend to get heavy.

Tucson, AZ

april,

for large outdoor pots i've also used my surplus of 4 inch plastic pots from the nursery turned upside down and stacked...works great!

-ming

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

It looks like I will be changing substrate every 6 months or less for the ones that get sunlight. The ones under lights will probably go much longer, but anything with a rhizomatous gesneriad needs to be replanted anyway (cut away the dead foliage, harvest rhizomes etc).

Key that seems to be a lot of work if you have a large terrarium, maybe they would be best for me in smaller ones. Key I am getting 2 mini sinningias any particular suggestions!!!?

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

basically, if they get sunlight, they will start to grow algae and stuff. Actually, sunlight is also not great because it heats up the terrarium a lot, so you can end up with steamed plants.

Terrariums are easier under lights. in those conditions, if you start with sterilized soil and fertilize extremely lightly, they can be left alone forever.

the sinningias will be easy! just plant them at the same depth as they arrived (this may be just plunking on the surface for some of them).

Thanks key!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

My tank is a 10 gallon tank. I have not started it yet because I'm unsure of how to do it. However, HD just got some charcoal in so I bought a small bag of it yesterday. So I'm collecting things a little at a time. What plants would you put in a 10 gallon tank, since it is sort of small?

Jesse

Jesse
I'd go for mini plants. I haven't really started mine yet, but I think there are some nice fern or fern like plants that would be pretty cool and also there are some ivies that I see when I do a search for terrarium. I have 2 mini sinningias that I plan on using- if I ever get to it.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I bought my tank and my charcoal and now I need a top with the light in it. Then I think I'll be ready to get some plants for it. But first I have to find a place to sit it. Everything in my house is covered in plants. LOL

Jesse

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi! I have a terrarium that's been up and running since my daughter was in 3rd grade. I have lost plants out of it and changed some around and found others that just hated it. but it continues to thrive in its ten gallon tank. I like creeping ficus. I have that in and a small syngonium, a small ficus tree, a small parlor palm, some purple passion which has had to be seriously cut back about 3 times and asplenium or birds nest fern and a couple of hypoestes or polka dot plants in the front. I never had luck with other ferns or with african violets as it was too moist in there for them apparently.
Martha

Orlando, FL

What kind of bulb do you all use in your tank lights?

Orlando, FL

The Charcoal is to deodorize the soil right? Where do you buy this charcoal from that is safe for this use? I am presuming it is not the same kind for charcoal that we use for the BBQ! I went to a garden center yesterday and ask them if they carried charcoal for plants and they gave me a funny look.

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

NJJ, many garden centers sell charcoal (and you are correct, it is not the BBQ type) but if yours does not sell it, you can generally find it at PetCo or other pet supply stores. The type I buy from the pet store comes in a milk carton type container and is a much finer grade than that sold at the garden centers. I prefer it to the chunky size.

You'll find it in the fish aquarium supply section of the pet supply stores or online

Williamsburg, OH(Zone 6a)

All you need now are some frogs in there! Very nice terrarium!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.