How to care for hydrangea

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but since a hydrangea is a shrub I will post it here. I just bought a small one and it is very special to me. Both of my grandparents have passed away and I am growing this in honor of them. I have very fond memories of the ones that they had. They had some growing in the front of their house, they were huge. I would love to have the bigger ones but I could only afford a small one. It has about 5 flowers on it. Anyway, I bought a pretty blue one yesterday but I'm really not sure what to do with it. The house that I live in is only a rental so I was wondering if I could grow it in a pot or some sort of container. Could someone tell me how to take care of my new plant and what exactly to do with it, whether putting it in the ground or in a pot? Any information is very much appreciated. Here is a photo of it.

Thanks,
Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

They can live a very long time if they're happy, and thus make a good selection as a memorial plant, especially down there in your zone. The flower color will vary with soil pH, but who cares? Pink and blue variations both are nice IMHO.

Plant it outside, at the right depth (no deeper than it was in the pot). Gently loosen or wash out the potting mix and spread the roots out in the planting hole. Don't let it get too hot and dry (or soggy either), give it good organic soil (the entire bed, not just the planting hole) and a little shade. Mulch it moderately and protect it from deer, rabbits, and the neighbor brats.

Also consider installing a small but durable memorial plaque at its base, identifying your grandparents and the years of their life spans. Spend the bucks to do the plaque right -- it should be there longer than you live. I had the one I used for my parents' memorial tree carved in granite by a gravestone company and I set it in concrete. Cost me less than $200, and they certainly were worthy of that.

Guy S.

Great South Bay, Lon, NY(Zone 7a)

Jesse...regarding the container question. You can easily grow it in a container, for at least a few years. This way, you can take it with you more easily when you move.

Follow Guy's planting instructions, but use a good quality non-soil potting mix. Pop it out of it's pot every spring to check the state of the roots. If it's getting root-bound, put it into a larger container.

If you like, you can bury the pot in either garden soil or mulch for added protection and to help maintain moisture.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I agree -- I missed the part about the rental house!

Guy S.

Fulton, MO

Cuttings from hydrangeas are very easy. If you had to plant it in the ground, then move, you could take cuttings. SB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.