First time growing Zinnias from seed..

Chickamauga, GA(Zone 7a)

I started some Zinnias from seed they are doing awsome!!! Infact so well that I just added more seed to start :)
I am going to add a picture in this post..do you think from the size they are now they are safe to plant out in my flower bed yet? They are putting on new leaves and seem pretty strong. These are the giant state fair mixed color seed packet I got....I wanted them in the back of my flower bed is this a good idea?? will they flop over? if so what kind of support do they need?? Any and all advise welcome thanks :)

Thumbnail by Gardening_in_GA
Austin, TX(Zone 8a)

those look ready to plant!
i grew violet queen last year that got up to 3 feet tall, great for the back of a flower bed. never needed staking, but did have some problems with mildew.

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Do you know your area's last frost date? Do not plant zinnias out until you are sure you will not have temps below freezing, unless you can protect them all somehow. Call your extension agent if you don't know it. There's also a link to a site where you can look it up...darn, I don't have the link. It's been posted somewhere on this forum before.

Sometimes a zinnia will need to be staked up. They are usually pretty stout, but now and again there's one that's been sort of bent over and it starts growing horizontally. They really do have to be in back of something, because the plant as a whole is not too attractive, especially if they get mildew. Last year I grew a large raised bed full of nothing but scarlet zinnias and I just let them do whatever they wanted. They were all over the place, going straight up, arching over, and some out of the box along the ground, but it looked great. I planted them so thick, they sort of held each other up. The butterflies swarmed over them. And for some strange reason, mildew was not a problem. I was lucky.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Zinnias are one of the easiest plants to grow. I just sow them, about April 30 th here, and they grow and do well. Never had to worry about staking, they have strong stems and are able to support their own weight. Happy gardening.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

My SIL gave me seeds of a dwarf pink zinnia. I can't get them to germinate even though hers have been successful. I have a small greenhouse now, and everything else is doing great. Can anyone give me some hints on how to grow these? My climate is so cool that I'm not sure they will do well. They will not get full sun all day, but perhaps 4-6 hours.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9a)

Zinnias don't like overhead watering. And if you get any water on the leaves they will mildew also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.