Under the pines...

Moravia, NY

Hi,

Looking for ideas for flowering shrubs, ground covers, bulbs, or most anything that will grow well under pine trees. These pines are tall and thin, so I still get quite a bit of sunlight in most areas, although I'd like ideas for heavily shaded areas as well. I know hostas do fairly well in these areas and I have plenty of those as well as astilbe and lady ferns growing naturally. Does anyone know if azaleas will do well?

Thanks for your help.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Elaine, The shady garden forum would have lots on this subject. I thought the following thread from that forum would help:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/497986/

Moravia, NY

Thank you!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I would say a definite yes to Azaleas, Rhododendrons, Mountain Laurels and Hydrangeas.

Moravia, NY

Thank you!
I just bought 3 azaleas (although I've never had great luck with them), planted moutain laurels last fall, and have 2 hydrangeas on the way!

Glad to hear that I'm at least making some of the right selections! :)

You certainly are! Tell me about the hydrangeas and if you like lace caps. Also, have you gone to eBay to look for any. One guy has a ton of them. It makes it so tempting!

Moravia, NY

As I say, the hydrangeas are on the way. One is Nikko Blue and the other is Forever Pink. I thought maybe Snow on the Mountain or Ice Plants underneath would be good.

Lace caps, is that Queen Anne's Lace that grows wild in so many areas? If so, yes, I love them.

A lace cap hydrangea is not the same as Queen Anne's Lace (a wild carrot, actually). I'll see if I can find a photo.

Thumbnail by pirl

So sorry for the awful photo. I found another one.
This is a collage of just one blue lacecap.

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.