Which Hydrangea is this?? And how do I care for it?

Chickamauga, GA(Zone 7a)

I just bought this today at a local nursery and the ladies husband was running the place for the day..he said he thought it was a blue nikko but wasnt sure. All he knew was he had the same plant all in the front of his house and it does great.

I just loved it and couldnt pass it up spent more then I should of on it too oh well...I hope it will do well for me...after I find out what kind it is maybe someone can give me a few tips on what to do for it also....I was thinking of putting it under my big oak tree in the front yard where it will get a little morning sun then will be covered in shade from the hot afternoon sun...does that sound right?

Thumbnail by Gardening_in_GA
(Zone 6a)

hello. I'm not a Hydrangea expert, but the one you have is a Macrophylla. The spot you have for it sounds like a good spot for it. They need fertile soil and plenty of moisture. I have to soak the one I have indoors everyother day.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Steve has given you good advice. I grow many hydrangeas, so I'll offer you my experience. If you don't mind, I'll offer this suggestion - your nursery owner will be upset. Your plant is beautiful at the moment, but when you put it in your garden, I think it will be very stressed. First, it has been forced bloomed - it is blooming out of its normal cycle. Secondly, I suspect it has been over fertilized so that the foliage is deep green. By the way, there are very good reasons for buying plants like this, especially for an event . When you put it in your garden, put it under dappled shade. In our area, hydrangeas do not do well with afternoon sun. Don't put it too close to your oak - first, because the hole you dig may damage surface roots of the oak, - secondly, the oak will suck up all of the moisture that your new, stressed hydrangea will need to survive. After the blooms turn brown, I suggest you deadhead and cut the plant back to the point where you have the greatest amount of green foliage. Don't do any cutting back of the plant after the first week in August. Next year the plant should revert to its normal growth pattern. In late winter, give it 4 ounces of 10-10-10 around the base of the plant, but not touching the plant. Do not fertilize it this year, and focus on consistent watering. Well, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! Hope this helps. Good Gardening.

Chickamauga, GA(Zone 7a)

Peony, thanks so much!!! I will do just as you suggested I had no luck with one I got last year it died back all the way to the ground and never did much. I am hoping I can keep this one alive! Should I see any more blooms on it this year besides the ones that are already on it?

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

I don't think you will see more blooms. The small plant is supporting very large mophead blooms now. Really watch it closely . By the way, unless your soil pH factor is less than 5.5, the blooms next year will not be blue. You can get a soil test by contacting your cooperative extension county office.

Chickamauga, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks! Yes the flowers are huge and are even staked under all the leaves!!!! I think if I took the stakes off everything might just flop over UGH!

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Don't you mean, UGA? War Eagle!!! LOL Just Kiddin'.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.