Camellias or other fall bloomers - need suggestions!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I am planning a wedding (well, my wedding) in my backyard for early October. I'm working on landscaping some shady areas in need of help, and wanted to plant some Camellias that do well in zone 7 and would be in bloom here in early October. I don't have any experience with them.
A preliminary search has given me the following suggestions:

Showa-no-sakae Camellia
Bonanza Camellia
Kanjiro Camellia
Jean May Camellia
Apple Blossom Camellia

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these in my area, and if there are any other suggestions.

Thanks!!

kim

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Congrats Kim!

Don't forget Brugmansias (Angel Trumpet) my best flushes are in Oct-Nov! As long as they get am sun they will look heavenly, and at night smell that way too.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, great suggestion! I'm a vegetable gardener, so this is my first time looking into flowers and shrubs and such... Brugmansias look beautiful. Do you have any favorites that you'd recommend for a beginner? Also, is there a store in our area, or do you have a favorite site to order from?

I'm really jealous of your Star Dancer!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Kim, come to our swap in a few weeks, a lot of us will have some bigger ones that will get you off to a great start, I know I have a bunch of 2-3 ft ones that lost their tags :( I've had a couple of bad years with Star, so she's not available yet. I'll send you a link to my website so you can see the ones I have.

I know pins, fairydancer and a couple others are coming from Decatur, so it's not that far! Just a one day trip would save you a bunch of money on plants!
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/573539/

Do you have a color theme to your wedding? It would be fun for us to help you out!

Cordele, GA

Hi Kim,

Butterfly ginger is good as well for late fall bloom and great fragrance.

Beth

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Gee, how on earth could I forget that? I just got done digging a bunch up for the swap!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi Kim! Welcome to DG! I'm in Decatur, too. Where do you live?

I have some white butterfly ginger that I'd be glad to share. One of the prettiest camellias is Pink Perfection. It is exquisite! You can find it and many others pretty close to you at:

Ashe Simpson Garden Center
4961 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Atlanta, GA 30341
(770) 458-3224
E-mail esim@mindspring.com
Retail

They don't seem to have a website, but they do have wonderul camellias!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the suggestions! I signed up for the swap, I'm excited about it. As for colors, I'm still not sure - probably reds, oranges, yellows - fall colors.

Pins, I'm on the edge of Decatur, close to Tucker... on Frazier Road, between Lawrenceville Hwy and LaVista. What about you? Thanks for the offer to share butterfly ginger, I would love to take you up on it! I have some asparagus crowns that I don't have room to plant (but need to go in the ground really soon - this week!) if you're interested in a trade. Also thanks for the recommendation on the garden center, I'm not familiar with it!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

You're not going to believe this, but I'm on Country Squire Lane! I'll be I could walk to your house! What a small world! Come over anytime. I'd love to get some asparagus. You could show me the best place to plant them, too.

Wow, a new gardening buddy so close!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

How cool is that? Your worries are over Kim, Carmen is a wonderful lady!

Warner Robins, GA(Zone 8a)

Lantana also blooms in fall. If you bunch them, they can make a nice purple groundcover.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Could you be meaning Homestead verbena? I didn't know lantana were purple. Thought they were pink, yellow or white.

The Loganville plant outlet had oodles of what is in Atlanta, annual groundcover lantanta. It's like "New Gold" - very low growing, and nicely purple. This is an excellent source for inexpensive plants.
They have purple fountain grass right now, it would be awesome by fall!

http://www.growersoutletllc.com

GGG

Warner Robins, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes my lantana is purple and yellow. I also have 6 of the ordinary lantana with pink and yellow blooms in the fall, but those get a little messy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.