Off away

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'm off away for a little bit - not saying where, so I can post some quizz photos later . . .

Resin

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Have a nice time!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Don't do anything I wouldn't do!

Scott

Have a great trip!

Thornton, IL

Bye - Oh! Don't forget to write (post)! ;-)

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh goody! Now we all can talk about him! And we don't even have to use metric or Pounds Sterling!!! Hee-hee-hee!

Guy S.

Back now, to find six pages of posts to look through . . .

Resin

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

(I wonder if he'll be able to find the one where we all said such horrible things about him . . . )
Hee-hee-hee!

Guy S.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Glad you're home safely, Resin. Hope you had a good trip.

Scott

nelson, New Zealand(Zone 9a)

Waiting for those pics, resin.

OK, here goes . . .

Wotz zis?

Thumbnail by Resin

And zis?

Thumbnail by Resin
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Carpinus nootkanensis
Carpinus obtusa

Scott has gotten to me

Eau Claire, WI

Welcome back, Resin. Dang it, I'm afraid without a closeup of the foliage I can't venture a guess. Cones would also be helpful. ;) Actually, you could drop these trees off in my yard and I wouldn't be able to ID them. I can at least pretend I know what I'm doing: Is the first one a Juniper? Were the pictures taken in Turkey or within 300 kilometers of the country? Are they in a country that is part of the coalition of the willing?

Thornton, IL

The first one looks like a larch (she said in hushed tones).

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Cedrus Deodara for the first one?

Will

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Cedrus Atlantica for the first one?
I looked again at my book "Gardening with Conifers".
If I, by chance, am right with one, you don't have to say, it would spoil the surprise for the others, maybe tell in a few days. I'm probably wrong anyway.

Will

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I agree with Kevin!

Guy S.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I couldn't find either one in Guy's book, so they must be just fancifully faked photos.

Where in the world is Resin Sandiego?

OK. You went to South Africa. One of those is Widdringtonia cupressoides.

Or...you went to New Caledonia, and one of those is Dacrydium lycopodioides.

Maybe Chile? Fitzroya cupressoides?

Actually, if subjected to sincerity, I'd guess a Cedrus for the first one and some Pinus for the multitrunked one by the road (which obviously didn't have Guy or LOL looking out for it when the traffic engineers came calling).

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Thuja ohmygodtransplantmesomewherewithwater

and

Chamaecyparis iagreewiththujaabove

This message was edited Apr 23, 2006 11:26 PM

Nope, nope . . .

OK first one is Cupressus atlantica, second is Tetraclinis articulata

Cupressus atlantica is endemic to the Oued-n-Fiis valley, occurring nowhere else. An endangered species.

Resin

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Boy, don't you just love it when you see anything existing in its own valley, and nowhere else. Way cool, thanks Resin! Ken

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Yeah, and you could have told us you were in Morocco and we STILL probably wouldn't have guessed right! Sounds like you had a great trip.

Guy S.

After paging through the entire volume of Krüssmann's Manual of Cultivated Conifers, I'm happy to have hit in the neighborhood of the Tetraclinis (a monotypic genus closely related to Callitris and Widdringtonia), none of which I have ever seen and two of which I didn't know existed.

Kevin: Krüssmann claims Tetraclinis articulata is a valuable tree for hot dry climates.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

If we get another year of drought, I may turn to monoculture with Tetraclinus articulata. Is it Zone 5 hardy? That looks like one dry, very dry, "I just ate a box of Saltines without any liquid" dry spot.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Resin,

Hope you had a good time there. I wish I knew you were visiting Morocco. I've been hunting for a reliable source for Pineapple Broom seed, with multitudes of faxes, emails and noone there seems to communicate. If you go again, keep your eyes out for seed suppliers. I also wouldn't mind getting ahold of seed of the trees mentioned above. :-)

Hi V V - Krussmann is out of date there, Tetraclinis is related to Calocedrus, not to Callitris or Widdringtonia.

Hi Kevin - nope, not hardy in zone 5. More like zone 9. A good tree for e.g. southern California.

Hi growin - wrong time of year for seed. Saw lots of various brooms, but they were in flower (or yet to start flowering), not seed. Maybe in the summer? (trouble is, Morocco's a bit too hot to visit then - in some areas, 46° in the shade, 60° in the sun, and hot enough to fry eggs on the ground...)

Resin

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

140F in the sun? That would be a new world record. I think 134F is tops, ever. Either way, I find anything over 70F unpleasant. *scratches Morocco off vacation list*

Chesapeake Beach, MD

Resin, while you were off away to Morocco, I was off away as well -- to the UK. Spent a wonderful blustery day poking around at Kew. Great fun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.