Tornadoes Outbreak Forcast ... Battening Down The Hatches!!!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=38061#SPE

Expires 12:00 PM CDT on April 07, 2006

Statement as of 6:45 AM CDT on April 07, 2006

Below is a quote from the above link:

"A dangerous... potentially life-threatening... tornado outbreak
is forecast across much of the mid-south today and tonight...

The best time for severe thunderstorms is between noon and 2 am.

A high risk of severe weather exists across much of southwest
Tennessee into north Mississippi. This includes the cities of
Memphis... Jackson... and Savannah in Tennessee and
Tupelo... Oxford... and Clarksdale in Mississippi. The high risk
area is generally along and south of Interstate 40... and to the
east of the Mississippi River."

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Yep, we're under a tornado watch again today too. They're threatening hail, so I'll have to move my glasstop patio table to the porch. I hope it blows over. This time of year is always scary here in Tornado Alley! They say we'll drop more than 30 degrees by night from our high of 82.

I hope you'll be safe, Judy.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

We've between Jackson, TN & Tupelo, MS, therefore right in the middle of the TN high risk area. We get the tornadoes in the Spring and the tailend of the hurricanes in Summer.

Be Safe!!!

Judy

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

hey Judy and Butterfly, be sure and keep an eye out. Sure hasn't been sounding good ! I have been in bed all day trying to (once again) recover from major dental work. Nothing to do but be miserable and watch tv ! My head is swimming so I hope I would still notice when they post warnings. It is hard to concentrate on words. I am backspacing a lot ! Oh where is 'spellcheck' on DG???? I am a little below where the worst weather is supposed to be, but I have a sister in Whitehall ,AR ; a mother,sister and brother in Pontotoc MS (outside Tupelo), and a daughter in Nashville ! So when bad weather alerts are out, I have to keep a watch on so many areas.

I worry about things like clematis being blown down - but then that would be the least of my worries if one hit now, wouldn't it?

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

We had hail last night. Some chunks were as large as ice cubes. At least half of the new leaves on our good sized Liriodendron , Tuliptree, was stripped off. Some opened hosta leaves were split, and some flowerbuds cut off of my clematis. My car escaped undented even though it has no shelter. All in all, I can't complain. I just hope tonight's weather will not be any worse.
It sure was noisy!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

There is an unbelievable line of thunderstorms coming right at us, but no tonadoes as of yet. We're in the lower SouthEast corner of the 3rd County west of Memphis on the TN weather map. http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=38061

My Bullies just started raising the roof, so give it 10 minutes and it will be much worse than it is now.

Judy

This message was edited Apr 7, 2006 7:05 PM

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Judy, just checking on you. We have had it rough here. No damage here. Gallatin got it bad. I know we have lots of members in that area.

This was made from my deck about an hour ago, between storms.

They say 19 confirmed tornadoes in this area so far. Last count is 12 dead.

Thumbnail by picabo
Gallatin, TN(Zone 7b)

Just checking in with you guys here in mid-TN...my house is safe and sound but many of my friends in Gallatin and Hendersonville are not as lucky...unbelievable damage up here.

Fairvue Plantation, where all the fabulous new homes on the lake and a golf course have been built had 20 homes leveled....we're not talking mobile homes here...try $300-$3 million! Seven people killed in Gallatin... most of them in these exclusive neighborhoods. I've tried calling several of my friends who live there and can't get an answer. Cell phone service is nil.

Vol State Community College is a disaster--roof caved in--the car dealerships right across the street lost 400 cars to damage...the new Publix right across the street also damaged.

My husband and I were on our way home around 2:30 when it came thru. We were just lucky it missed us!

It's been eight years and one week to the day since the horrific tornado swept thru downtown Nashville in 1998.

My son who lives in Murfreesboro was pulling his enclosed work trailer--it got pummeled by golf ball size hail...he called me while sitting under the canopy at a gas station and I could hear the hail hitting his truck, even under the canopy!
What a day this has been! I hope our church didn't get any damage. It was right in the path.
Glad you guys are okay.
Karen

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Karen... Glad to hear from you. I was going to try to d Mail bluegrassmom and check on you. (I was thinking she is your sister. Is that right?) Hope it is all over.
My DH was in 1st American center downtown when that '98 storm hit. This one seem just as bad as that one.

Betty

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We were there a week after the 98 batch.
Rough stuff that one.

Hope this is finally it for you guys.
Two batches in a week is enough.

I posted a link to this thread in the Weather Forum.
Ric

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

We're OK here, just heavy, heavy rains and high winds tonight so it's headed your way again Betty!!!

Judy

Gallatin, TN(Zone 7b)

Picabo - no, Bluegrassmom and I are not sisters...we just met on here a few months ago! And also joined the Mid-TN Daylily Society recently at the same time...and met up at the Lawn & Garden show.

The reports I'm hearing from friends is so bad...those big power towers are down everywhere around Gallatin, some even falling onto the railroad tracks.

Glad everyone here is okay...our church is setting up a disaster relief center in the morning...guess I'll take some bottled water and canned goods and help out.

BTW, there was a couple from New Orleans at the model home in Mansker Farms looking to buy here because they were displaced by Hurricane Katrina. This tornado came thru Mansker Farms and leveled six houses...the lady said she was never as scared in a hurricane as she was today. Amazing...they came here to escape it but couldn't!

Take care,
Karen

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Funny how you get something in your mind. I was sure that you were sisters. Maybe she said that she had a sister in town and she was meeting you at the L & G show. Maybe I just imagined it. LOL Awful to get old. ROTFL.

So happy that you are OK. I have a lot of family in Hendersonville, everybody is OK Each has their story to tell, but no serious damage.
We are going to have puter damage if I don't shut down, the lightning is back. Hope it doesnt come your way, I am in Bellevue just off I 40.

Rick
Thanks so much for posting in the Parking Lot.

Just wanted y'all to know I'm thinking and praying for each of you. Stay safe and know you're in my prayers. :)
Hugs&blessings ... Elaine

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

With so many friends here at DG, bad weather about anywhere in the world is so upsetting!

Betty, that picture is absolutely awful! I heard about TN being hit and the damage. It's so sad.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

You folks are all in my thoughts. I hope everyone is okay. I sure am having second thoughts about leaving Louisiana for higher grounds....

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

We were so blessed, everything is fine in my world this morning. Family and friends are fine. So many people not so lucky. We were surrounded with those black and yellow clouds. Tornadoes touched down within 3 miles of our house to the north and south. 100 mph winds. Happy to say all we got was DARK clouds, a gentle breeze and birds singing in the trees.

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Judy and everybody,
I stayed off the computer last night because of the storms.I hope you guys are alright. We had it pretty easy here compared to Gallatin and Hendersonville in fact I don't think I can even compare it. Ours was more scary and loud than anything else. I am sending prayers your friends way.
On the radio last night they said the hail there was as big as Grape fruits. We had wind, Lightning,rain,thunder,not sure about the hail but the temps got much cooler.
Hoping all our DGers are safe,
God bless everyone who had a loss of any kind during this devastating storm,
Celeste

Gallatin, TN(Zone 7b)

Thank you guys so much for praying for us...I'm going to take my digital camera today when we go to Gallatin and take some pictures.

Picabo, glad your family is okay. I saw where one of William Lee Golden's houses out on Saundersville Rd. in H'Ville was severely damaged. You are correct that Bluegrassmom's sister lives here in Madison and that they met up with me at the L & G show, but I am not her sister.

The pictures of Metro Baptist in Goodlettsville are horrendous...amazing anyone got out of there alive! And the pix on The Tennessean of the car dealership in Gallatin--unbelievable! The Tennessean has alot of good stories and pix--one of two guys who saw two funnel clouds merge yesterday into one giant one and all they could do was stop their car on I-65 and get up under a bridge overpass with other people...stuff you see in the movie "Twister"!

I'm so glad everyone is safe! We are, too. A couple of severe thunderstorms, a little bit of wind, and lots of rain, lightning, and thunder, but no tornadoes for us. I can't imagine what some of you went through. I prayed for everyone, and I'm just so relieved that everyone seems to be safe.
It warms my heart to see how concerned everyone here at DG is about each other. If only the whole world were like DG, what a wonderful place it would be! Hugs to everyone!

Just wanted to stop by and let y'all know I'm still here praying for everyone. I'm so glad things seem to be okay so far?
Hugs&blessings to each and everyone ... Elaine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.