The BEST JP I have ever seen!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

And I have seen most varieties at the JP nurseries we have here. I drove by this one last weenkend and had to stop in the rain and take pictures.

It had 4 color sections on 1 well round bush. Gold, orange red and yellow. The leaves are small. I do not know the variety.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

As I turned down the street this tree was like a strobe light attracting one's eye. The color was bouncing out of the yard it was in.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The colors were so beautifully blended into their separate sections. The overall look was so light and bright.

Thumbnail by Kell
Lake Dallas, TX

I've seen better, but thats nice. Sango Kaku/coral bark, Katsura, or orange dream maybe?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Can you keep a coral bark that tight? Generally they are more upright and taller.

It's a beautiful tree though. True.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I have a huge sango kaku, it is great but this one was so special. It was like it was hilighted. The sections of different colors on one plant was so entertaining. I wish you all could have seen it.

Yes Doss, Sango Kaku is very tall upright growth, Mine towers now over my house. No way it would ever look like this ball of soft fire. The leaves are much bigger too. It is most interesting in winter when it has no leaves and has the bright pink bark, come summer it gets kind of boring.

I wonder if this one will go all green in summer. I hope not. I am definitely going to add it to my to visit list.

I love Orange Dream also for it also jumps out in the garden but it all the same color.

Orange Dream

Thumbnail by Kell
Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Lovely, lovely, lovely! Would like to know what it is.

Laura

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Kell,

I'm very interested in the "Orange Dream" Jap. Maple. My husband--who thinks he's always right--says it starts out green, then goes purple, and then orange in the fall. Who wins this argument?
:)

Connie

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

WOW a purple JP? I want!! LOL

This is a pic I took in the last 2 weeks within a day or 2 of opening for spring!! It is very ornage!

The sunset colors are lovely. Would like to see another pic from a few days later. It is like sunset...the colors changing as the shade or path of the sun goes over it.

Laura

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I will have to make another trip to Berkeley. It would be worth it. I do not know where all my time goes.

Well, you can blame me, hope it is a nice trip!

Laura

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I've been trying to figure out for the life of me since I joined what you guys are referrring to, when you say "JP". This has been driving me crazy because the only thing I can come up with everytime I see it is "Japanese Plant" which too drives me bonkers.

Thanks,

Dax

P.s. I just remembered that I too have concauckted (sp?) "Japanese Palmatum" as well.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Well it is a mind glitch Dax ....they all mean JM but because they are JAPANESE maples ...JP comes up...I have made that mistake too and many other long termers have intemittently springled in JP from time to time... just sort of a dislexic thing we all do from time to time...or maybe some are just poilitcally incorrect ;>)...but I'm 99% sure it's just an honest mind glitch and they mean JM David

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks myersphcf.

I've seen JP being used in conjunction with palmatum, shirasawanum, japonicum....you name it. So I figured it had to stand for any Asian Maple.

Ok. fine with me but in all honesty for people to learn correctly it would probably be a good idea to use Genus, species, and cultivar when appropriate.

I'm walking the tightrope as it is so better stop before I stumble into a hole I created for my own self. (Consumer easiness vs. Nursery 'terms')

Cheers however!

Dax

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL. You are so right Myersphcf, a mind glitch for sure. LOL. I have lots of them. This one I didn't even catch.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Kell, does your orange dream sit in full sun or is it protected and how does it fare?

Chicago, IL

A good complement for what looks like a Parie-school influenced home behind it. I understand 1920s architects were big on eastern influences.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.