never too many plants part 2

China Spring, TX(Zone 8a)

Katmos, in your photo, you have all sorts of tropicals mixed together. How do you keep the humidity and light requirements w/all the different kinds of plants. I just finally found some of those beautiful begonias but I'm assuming they need greenhouse conditions. How did you get yours outside w/out scorching them? Please continue this thread. It's so informing and inspiring.
hilary

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh Trunnels, post your pic here to. That is so amazing and looks like a great place to sit and visit with your friends. Look at them all there chatting. I wish we could find out more about where this was taken. It is such a charming photo.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Here you go, Kell! It looks like Mexico to me. I found this picture on line when I ordered from a company that makes the little plastic hooks that will hold a clay pot on the wall. I've kept the picture for my own enjoyment, of course!

Thumbnail by trunnels
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's one of mine you have probably seen before. :-)

Thumbnail by trunnels
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

This arrangement is in the far back left corner.

Thumbnail by trunnels
Thornton, IL

Aaah. Another tropical paradise! I love those elephant ears (colocasia). They add such a level of distinction. Very well done.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, PrairieGirl! My husband says I have too much out there and I just say, your right, honey. :-)

Trunnels, your paradise is wonderful. Tell hubby I say he needs his glasses adjusted. There's no such thing as "too much" in the gardening world. Everyone knows that the more you have, the cooler the ground stays, and the less water they require. Just tell him you're "xeriscaping".. Seriously, I'm in a new garden and my trees are slowing creeping up enough to give me about 30 min. shade, but they will get there and I,too, can have a paradise to sit out in.
PLEASE keep showing us all the gorgeous pics. We live vicariously..
hilary

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

And here I was thinking Italy! LOL

You garden is a delight trunnels! Great pictures.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Trunnels,
I'm in Zone 8b also. I'm a newbie and am learning about how to put plants together on a patio. Mine faces the east and gets bright shade most of the day. Please guide me on the plants you have on your patio. What's in the pots beneath those curved planters? I see a lot of elephant ears (I'd like to get some black ones). Right now I have one giant elephant ear, lots of foxtail ferns, two Birds of Paradise, two fantail palms and lots of asparagus ferns (which absolutely hate -- but they're for my DH--so invasive). I have a few coleus which are doing ok (have been inspired to get MANY more, in pots). I also have geraniums, and I'm waiting for the following bulbs to come up: caladiums, canna lilies and daylilies, for some color. I also just bought 10 fabulous STUTTGART cannas which are Vampire in nature (they LOVE the shaded areas and will actually burn in the sunlight) so they will work just fine on the shaded patio. Please tell me how to create more of the "lushness" I see in your patio. Thanks!

Pilgrim

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome, Pilgrim! It sounds like you know exactly what you are doing! The plants at the bottom of the curved planter are colias and on top are impatiens. This year, I have put the impatiens on the bottom and huge ferns on the top. I like to use lots of impatiens for the coolness effect. Also, caladiums work great in containers and the ones I like best are called Aaron. Here is a picture of Aaron in the ground. You can see how big they get! The begonias under the caladiums are dragon wing. They get huge and are beatiful in containers (they will also take more sun than the regular begonias but do just as well in the shade). I'll post another picture of some different colors of colias.

Thumbnail by trunnels
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Colias.

Thumbnail by trunnels
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Here are some dragon wing begonias in a hanging basket.

Thumbnail by trunnels
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

These are all in the ground but you can see how you could put these in containers and group them together.

Thumbnail by trunnels
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

These fence baskets are in the bright shade. I cannot remember the name of the flowers (starts with a T) but I'm sure someone will know and speak up. ;-)

Thumbnail by trunnels
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is a container of impatiens on the patio.

(I'll stop now cause I don't want to take over this thread.) :-)

Thumbnail by trunnels
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Kell! I am always in awe of your gardens and pics. :-)

Horsens, Denmark

Trunnels, it is in Spain, there is a particular region that has this
tradition. It looks stunning when the perlagonium grow bigger.
Wish I had a garden like yours it is beautiful.
Have you ever tried having an open garden garden day for the public?
Oh.. it just hit me, bad idea, they would never leave again LOL

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Zest! Learn something new every day! Have you had the pleasure of seeing this in person in Spain? If would love to travel there. And thanks for the compliments on my gardens. :-)

Thornton, IL

Are the blue flowers torenia? They do great in shade, flower all summer long, also come in pink and purple. ;-)

Horsens, Denmark

Sadly no, saw it on a travel program from BBC some years ago.
The bad thing is that I can not remember what region.
Think it was around Seville, some of thise gardens are open to the public.
Would like to se it some day. Maybe you could ask in the european forum if some knows about this

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Trunnels, That is one beautiful garden.......I would never leave if It was closer to me!

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Zest. I'll try to get over there and post a pic soon. YES, PrairieGirl! They are torenia! Thank you for reminding this feeble mind. :-) I planted some pink ones this year and not sure I like them as much as the purple. THANK YOU Lilyfan! I don't leave it much. :-)

Trunnels, what part of Plano are you in? I used to live in Dallas until '03. I lived at Frankford/Preston area. All my friends are in Plano. I lived there since '75. My daughter went to school at St.Paul's, then Ursaline. I usually buy my plants at that nursery on Coit in Frisco. They have all the Texas natives and are so helpful. My daughter is moving from St.Louis to Sache next month. Her DH just took a job there. I'm thrilled to finally get her back home. I hope to plant her patio area to emmulate yours. It's so tranquil and I think that's important when you have hectic days to deal with. Keep showing us all your pretty photos.
hilary

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for your kind words, Hilary. I live right off of 15th and Independence. My daughter's office is at Preston and Frankford, which is less than 10 minutes from me.

I'm guessing you are talking about Shades of Green in Frisco? I love that place! They have great native perrenials and a good selection of ornamental grasses that I love.

I'm sure you will be so happy with your daughter back in Texas! Sache isn't too far from me (about a 30 minute drive).

Thumbnail by trunnels
Gilbert, AZ

This message was edited Aug 4, 2006 10:08 PM

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Lindagarden Kat has the site up on this thread...I bought some and their really nice...

Trunnels,
Where did you get the Aaron Caladiums? They are stunning. I have Angel Wing Begonias, too, only mine are a bit different than your post. I'll have to check mine again. Thanks!

I don't think those are angel wings...mine are different too...

Mine look like this...

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Another view of my Angel Wing Begonias...

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Mine look like yours...But maybe there are different ones...Lali ,Bruce or Kell would know...Post them a picture of yours....,

Phoenix, AZ

Google kattamos

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Gymgirl,
Those are dragon wing begonias, not angel wings.

I've got Dragons and NOT Angels?

Thanks trunnels...I was confused as what they were...I have the Angel Wings not Dragon Wings like GG has....

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

No, Gymgirl, you have angels, I have dragons. lol

Ok. I got it. I have ANGEL wings. Trunnels has DRAGON wings....sorry for the confusion.

Whew! I was about to call out Jason and the Argonots to come slay those Dragons! Right about now, I need all the Angels I can get!

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.