super mini "terrarium"

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

this is a little yogurt jar, about 2.5 inches at its widest point. The plant is a Sinningia White Sprite - a micro mini gesneriad. It only gets a teeny bit bigger than this.

Thumbnail by Keyring
Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

That's pretty darn cute!

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh wowowowowow Kinring..that is WONDERFUL!

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Everything you touch is beautiful.
Patti

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi, Keyring - I've been at DG since 2001, but am new to terrariums. I look forward to digging into this forum for ideas. Our house is small and I have no dedicated space for growing right now, but little plantings like this I know I can manage. =)

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

but you have a house! I have about 700 sq ft !! loooove urban living!

the only thing you need to secure is light, and then there are possibilities.......

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

A suggestion with limited space is...Halogen desk lamps...I got some at target for 7.00 and they work really well for my terrariums so far and I use them in other places also

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Cool. I do have a 20gallon fish tank I could make into a terrarium; it has a lid with a light I could replace with a plant light. It could go beneath my 55-gallon aquarium on the bottom shelf of the stand.

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Key that is gorgeous!

Kurtistown, HI

That is a BEAUtiful little gem!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Key,My but that is small and so delicate looking.That has to be just about the cutest thing I have ever seen! Just adorable! : ) Nancy

Where is the jar that the little sweetie pie Sinningia White Sprite is growing in placed in your home? How much light does it get during the day and what is the exposure please? Do you have screens on your windows? I know this sounds like a silly question but we leave our screens up year round now to reduce bird collisions and that is about the equivalent of 30% shade cloth.

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

this one was kept under fluorescent tubes (T12s). I had the same plant a foot from a lightly tinted SE facing office window, with a row of slightly taller plants between the window and it. It got some "direct" sun for a short part of the day, and shade for the rest. It seemed to be about the right amount of light.

There is, of course, a lot more algae growth with sun. Also, if you have too much sun, you will steam the plants - temps can go high very quickly. Worth putting a min/max thermometer in there if you're not sure.

Ok, so this plant might be able to survive nicely in a window with a screen. That's encouraging.

I do have a problem with algae growth in this home. I have tried growing pinguicula in pure LFS and always end up with green sludge in no time at all. I've had somewhat better luck with New Zealand Long Fibred Sphagnum Moss but not that much better.

Can I use a floating fish thermometer to check the temps? I pick those up at WalMart real cheap and they seem to measure the temps of any medium to within a degree or so of actual temps. Is it the actual air temps I am to measure because if so, I could place a regular room thermometer in there.

(Zone 1)

Key ..... do you keep a lid on the little yogurt jar?

Lin

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

no lid - this particular plant seems to have fungal problems if there is no air flow. I haven't had that problem with the other micro minis, though.

(Zone 1)

I've been thinking about buying a couple of mini type AV's or other plants for a glass jar or two that I have sitting empty. I wondered about having a lid on it, like a small terrarium. Will have to contemplate what I'm gonna do.

Thanks,

Lin

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi, Ken. just drifted over here to see what everybody's up to. I like your little garden. I have a couple little jars and things I'm saving, so I'm just looking for ideas. pretty nice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.