Unknown Clematis: Prune or not?

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Attention all clematis experts... :-)
My new home has a clematis vine, growing up a shepherd's hook. I've never grown clematis before, but have always admired everyone else's. I'd like to nurture this one.

I don't know what kind it is (Type 1 or 2 or whatever) so I didn't know whether or not to prune it back. Now it's showing signs of life/growth at most of the old buds. ('ll post a pic as soon when I get home from work ;-) )

I'm zone 6a. Any & all advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Cheryl

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome, Cheryl!

I am not a clematis expert but I do have a few. I would say that if you have new growth on the old wood, do not cut it back at this point. You can see how the new growth does this summer and then you may want to cut it back by in the fall.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, trunnels, for the welcome and the advice.

Here's a pic of the buds:
I'm afraid that if I prune it at this point, I'll be cutting off the future flowers, and I'm anxious to see what it is.

Thumbnail by Cheryl_103
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Very nice. I definitely wouldn't cut it now.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Another photo, of the whole plant. Pretty spindly, but it's very early here in zone 6a. Actual height is probably about 4'.

Thumbnail by Cheryl_103
Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Another question: how much sun do clematis need? If you notice those pines in the background of the second pic...there are 5 of those in a row along the edge of our side yard, planted above the stone wall. The lower branches have been trimmed pretty high, and I need some kind of screen along that wall, both to keep my dog in and to discourage neighborhood dogs to stay out. I'm thinking now (after seeing the beautiful clematis on Silver Star Vines' website, see the Garden Watchdog pages!) of growing clematis along maybe some wires strung between posts. (Saw it on HGTV!)
The area does get afternoon sun, this area is on the east edge of our property. It gets morning sun now as well, but probably won't once the decidous trees leaf out.

And the sparse forsythia on the left is discussed in another thread under Trees & Shrubs forum!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Welcome Cheryl_103!

Since you don't know which Clematis is growing up your sheperd's hook, don't prune it this year, let it flower, take pictures, and we'll try to figure it out. Also, let us know when it starts to bloom (which month) and any re-blooms.

Some Clematis don't need as much sun as other varieities. Obviously, the ones that grow well on the North side of a house would fall into this category or some of the very light colored varieities would get bleached out from too much sun. They need partly shady conditions to look their best. Here's a list of ones that don't need as much sun. http://stores.yahoo.com/chalkhillclematis/clematisforshade.html

I love your stone wall! Beautiful!! I would grow a herbaceous or non-twining type of Clematis along your stone wall. Those are the type that can be used as ground covers. This will give you an idea of non-twining varieities. http://store.yahoo.com/chalkhillclematis/group-herbaceousandnon-clingingshrubs-.html

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much, Shirley. I'll anxiously await blooming to see what I've got. Judging from the fuzzy flower-skeletons that were on it when we moved in last fall, it bloomed pretty well.

I love the stone wall too. The yard of this place sold me on this house as much as the house itself.

Off to shop at those links you sent. I got really excited at first, I thought the place was in Chalk Hill, PA, just a few hours south of me. But no....

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Oops! So sorry about that! Chalk Hill is about 1 1/2hrs North of San Francisco, in the heart of the wine country. Shucks, all you have to do is hop on a jet plane and you'll be there in a couple of hours! :~)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.