Wisteria

Chickamauga, GA(Zone 7a)

My Wisteria is about to bloom....Last night I spent a lot of time cutting runners and pulling them out of the ground and cleaning up underneath it! I am 8 months pregnant so mind you it was a chore :) I cant believe how far away from the plant some of these things were burried up under the ground! I had to dig most of them out then I would cut a little, and pull a little ,cut some more.....I think I will stay on top of it a little more from now on so I dont have such a huge job on my hands. Will post pictures when it blooms all the way...I am just now seeing a little hint of purple opening up.

I was stupid and didnt know what I was doing last year and had pruned the heck out of it to get no blooms at all last Spring! So I am very anxiouse to see it this year.

Denver, CO

We look forward to pictures, and congrats! A Wisteria collector once told me to prune the dickens out of them, but not the spurs from which they bloom, just the whips, down to a few inches.
K. James

Chickamauga, GA(Zone 7a)

Yea I didnt mess with the area that has the blooms on it...just all the runners that were traveling at a cery fast rate! I now learned that after the blooms have come you can prune it as much as you want....just let it be towards fall time so it can get some new growth on it since that is where the blooms come from. So I will be pruning it back quite a bit later on after the blooms have finished!

Here is a pic of it now...pretty ugly till the beautiful flowers open up then I have people slowing down to look at it. Just wish they lasted longer...

Thumbnail by Gardening_in_GA

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.