Clematis Alpina

Sea Cliff, NY(Zone 7a)

Has anyone ever grown clematis alpina Vase Vine. I have had it in the ground for 4 years and it still has not flowered. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi JanOT17!

Clematis alpina falls into the Atragene Group. Where have you grown your Clematis (sun, shade, North, South, etc)? Have you kept it well watered? Has it been allowed to dry out? Has it had Clematis Wilt? Any additional information would be most helpful. This link will give you an idea of the varieties of Clematis that fall into this category. http://store.yahoo.com/chalkhillclematis/group-atragene.html

Sea Cliff, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi Shirley1md,

The clematis is growing in full sun. It grows very large throughout the summer only with leaves. It has self rooted a new plant next to the original plant. It is very robust and healthy but no flowers. No wilt. Thanks for taking the time to assist me.

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Jan,
Shirley knows best we all go to ther for our Clematis Question. Do you cut yours back each fall or spring? the reason for asking is that the Alpinas bloom on old growth, should only be lightly pruned about 6 inches of the top.

Gary

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Pruning Group 1

No pruning required. If you need to prune to keep the plant in the space you have allotted it then prune immediately after flowering.

These varieties flower on the old wood so if you prune them you will loose next year's early flush of flowers.

Examples: alpinas, macropetelas, montanas, armandii, early species.

My Clematis is not Blooming

Be sure you use a low nitrogen fertilizer on your clematis since too much nitrogen can cause all vine and no flowers. I fertilize all my clematis with organic, slow release fertilizers in the winter when I prune my group three clematis, usually in late February or early March. I like to use Rose Tone (Bulb Tone is also good) and dehydrated cow manure on both, but 5-10-10 or tomato fertilizer work also. A second dose of fertilizer is recommended in June. At our 2000 conference I learned that a leading Polish clematis breeder and nurseryman uses Osmocote on his clematis with great results.

All the above information was found on the International Clematis Society webpage. http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/clematis/index.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.