Endless Summer - Concerned

Alpharetta, GA

Hi everyone. I planted two Endless Summer Hydrangeas in early fall. They are planted side by side and one of them has fresh new shoots coming up in the center, but the second still only has sticks. Does anyone know if it is still a bit early in the Atlanta area for the Endless Summer to be getting green? I am worried that the one without new leaves budding up from the center might not have made it through the winter. Thanks for the help!

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

I would think that you should at least be seeing the growth nodes swelling on the stems, if they were going to leaf out. There should be growth at the base, but there should also be growth on the stems. If you don't see growth there, cut the stems back. They bloom on new growth also, so you should still have flowers. Did you water them well last fall when you didn't receive normal rainfall? That's when we lose most of our plants down here. Wish you well.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Good advice!

Alpharetta, GA

Thanks for the advice. I just went out and cut the stems back to any new growth on both plants. When I trimmed the stems back they were both a healthy green inside. After looking very very closely I also noticed some tiny growth nodes on the one I was most concerned about. Hopefully it will make it and is just a little bit behind. They are both planted on the border of some very large trees so no doubt there is some serious competition for water. I did water them a lot after they were planted, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did not receive as much as they should. Thanks again for the advice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.