Ground up cremated bones

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Have never seen this addressed so here goes.
Can the cremated remains (bones) of animals be ground up and used? Would they add calcium? The local animal shelter cremates the animals. I'm not above asking for the remains and grinding them up. Also have this posted in another forum.

Great South Bay, Lon, NY(Zone 7a)

It's essentially the same thing as bone meal. It's used as a source of Phosphorus in gardening. It also contains Calcium, and trace minerals. Unfortunately, it may also contain Lead.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

not to mention Frontline...

Great South Bay, Lon, NY(Zone 7a)

We don't want ticks-n-fleas on our lettuce, do we?

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

The temperature at which they burn the remains sure is gonna kill any ticks or fleas.
Where does the lead come from?
Kathy

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

My creamated dog Digger makes my woodland garden prosper. Every flower is a gift from him to me. At least I think so. All good ingredients for the garden. No chemicals remain only the bad heavy metals if present and good metals iron, calcium, phosphorous, potassium etc. No Frontline left. I suspect it would have a tendency to raise ph. also lightly ground would make good soil texture.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I left the ashes of my favorite little dog, Goldie, a silkie Terrier in the container and after burying it at the edge of my new Woodland garden, planted an evergreen to mark the spot along with a lable. The evergreen has grown considerably, and makes a nice reminder.

DonnaS

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Sofer and Ruthie.
I have been grinding up the bones and they are making quite a nice powder to put on my plants.
Kathy

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Kathy have you Ph tested your soil? And let us know how the flowers do. I wonder if Phosphorous survives incineration in a usuable form?

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Nope, haven't Ph tested the soil, which is dumb, coz I have the stuff to do it.
I asked a vet about that and was told it should be high in calcium and phospherous. and no lead.
Kathy

Plantation, FL(Zone 10b)

Silly question, maybe, but how are you grinding up the cremated bones?

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

hammer. I put them in a flat cardboard box, cover them with newpapers and start smashing. It's worked quite well.

I started with a plastic grocery bag about half full. Finished with 2 quarts of very fine meal/powder.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I used to put them in a cement mixer with medium stones and large stones and turn it on for an hour.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

that sounds good too, Sure wish I had a cement mixer

Palmer, AK(Zone 2a)

Gives a whole new meaning to "There's a Spot on my plant."

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL yep

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.