Lady Ferns

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Does everybody here know about Lady Ferns? They are such a treat! Grow in sun or shade, wet or dry, get about 30" tall and look wonderful with lilies growing up through them. I've been thinning out my lady fern beds today and always marvel how such a plant lives. The pieces look like fuzzy sticks with little green nubs that will grow into the tall lacy ferns. Almost no root at this stage.and really will take the full heat of Atlanta's direct sun. What a nice plant!

Cordele, GA

I love watching ferns grow. I am not as interested in having and growing them as I am in just enjoying their geometery and form. The tight fiddle heads make me think of fractals in the way the leaflets are coiled in on themselves along a coiled stem.

Beth

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Not familar with them. Sounds like a wonderful plant.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I must admit I can't grow ferns.I have the perfect place,damp,shady,rich soil,but when I buy,or dig a fern,I don't "hold my mouth wright".I have never really learned about ferns,but love them.Maybe ,thanks to daves garden,I'll become more familier.Mike

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

You're not the Mike from the Georgia Spring Plant Swap page - http://georgiaswap.brugmansia.us/index.php - are you? If so I left you a message about cannas as I have a ton of them I am digging up!

AND if you are that Mike, I can bring you a couple of "sticks" of the lady fern - I think it will grow for anybody.
Sterling

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes,sterhill one and the same.thanks a million,and I want to ask about keeping ferns alive.Looking foward to the swap.Mike

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

K, Sterling, can you spare another stick? I'm not familiar with it either, off to plant files I go.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Sure - here is the pix that got me started on lady ferns and casablanca Lilies.
http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/982910-product.html
the main info is here:
http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/29053-product.html
So I bought the lady ferns from WFF and the lilies some place cheaper! Now the lady ferns have become really crowded and I am pulling them out and replanting everywhere.

I - boo-hoo - decapitated a huge casa blanca at least 1.25" wide!!! :( coming up in the lily bed as I was digging the lady ferns.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

If you want a fern that is tough and spreads (almost weedy - makes a good ground cover) you might consider the sensitive fern (just sensitive to cold but bounces back the next year). I've had it in shade and sun without any problems. It might start browning if left too dry in full sun but bounces back with a good watering.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Sterling, I have been trying to grow lady ferns for a couple of years. I see signs of life in one, but not the other. If you have an extra start, could I trade you for one? I have Southern Shield fern and some white calla lilies that are hardy here. One is blooming now.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I am already on your list for a bunch of your beauties!! I am more than happy to bring you some lady ferns! Please check my list to see if there is anything else you'd like.

Thanks,
Sterling

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Great! And I will check out your list again. Oh, the "chores" I have to do for gardening. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.