native, but invasive in *my* garden

Chapel Hill, NC

I believe in planting native plants (NC), but a few years ago I bought a Rudbeckia laciniata from a local nursery which specializes in natives. It has taken over like kudzu, and is crowding out other natives. The roots are fibrous and deep, and I have filled a wheelbarrow full of the seedlings. I think the plant is beautiful, the birds and butterflies love it, but it has to go.
I don't know why my garden has allowed it to go crazy. I don't fertilize, and it is in the "hell zone" between the road and a ditch.
I subscribed to this website just to warn others.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Here is the link to this plant in the DG Plant Files. Might I suggest you go into here and post a negative comment to warn others.

I wish I had know about Wisteria, now I have it crawling all over my house, under the porches and trying to get in the windows at night. lol lol Not that bad but a real problem for me.

Judy

This message was edited Apr 13, 2006 7:58 PM

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Bouncing bet....Aaaaarrrggghhhhh!!!! 'Nuff said...LOL

P

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I have some natives too, I am glad you posted that they can be invasive.

Anyone know how to get rid of mint without using Roundup? I have that Snow on the Mountain taking over too! I am learning as I go. Research before you plant.

Teresa in KY

Taft, TN(Zone 6b)

Bouncing bet is causing a problem for me, too.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Judy's made a good point - the best way to warn others is to place a comment in PlantFiles.

Here's a link to the Rudbeckia laciniata entries in PlantFiles: http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=Rudbeckia&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=laciniata&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

(There's a species entry, as well as several cultivars.)

Here's the entry for Saponaria officinalis: http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=bouncing+bet&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Snow on the Mountain (I'm guessing it's the Euphorbia marginata, but that common name applies to some other plants too): http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=snow+on+the+mountain&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

When you find the correct entry, scroll down past the existing comments until you find a link to "Add your own note to this plant" - click on that and add a note and rating.

You can add comments for any/all plants you are growing, or have grown - or have tried to get rid of ;o) Remember, what you know helps others!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.