ack! pumpkin seedlings need help!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

In my zeal to get started on the gardening season, I started my pumpkin seedlings in peat pots and now the roots are growing out the bottom. It's too cold to put them out (I'm in zone 5). What should I do? Tamara

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Tamara, I don't think there's anything *to* do but start some more pumpkins, but I think even now is too early to do that for you. Maybe in a couple of weeks? Hope someone from your zone posts...

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5b)

"When the roots are coming out the bottom of the pot, it is time to plant your seedling in the soil, weather permitting. Hopefully, you have timed this to the last frost, or have prepared a protective cover. If not, keep the bottom of the tray moist, or put some extra soil in the bottom of the tray, or transplant to a larger pot."

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm going to plant it in a large container and cross my fingers. I have a good 6-8 wks before it's warm enough to plant them outside. Tamara

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Actually, you are fine. However, you do need to re-pot them into something larger for now. In fact with Big Max and other competition sized pumpkins, the very zealous start theirs in pots early so they get a jump start on the growing season. Once you re-pot, don't forget to harden them off before you are ready to get them in ground. I believe I saved a post somewhere in my garden files about pumpkin seeds in pots. If I find it, I'll post it in here for you.

Megan

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Sorry Tamara, I can't find the link. I was planning to start mine early like you, but ran out of room with my pepper and eggplant seed varieties. It was disapointing, but I'll just plant my pumpkin seeds after the last frost. The last frost last year was something like April 17th. Being in zone 5 too, I'm praying we get that lucky again this year and that I save room to pot mine up early next year. We gardeners have eyes bigger than our stomaches, lol.

Cheers!

Megan

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

It just snowed here yesterday. grrr! Come ON Spring! Tamara

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

hey Tamara! why don't you try 5 gallon buckets??? it works for watermelon transplants. then just dig a hole and lower the bucketin??? i just don't know how deep the taproots go, so maybe someone else could say if my suggesiton would work with pumpkins or not...

tamara

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

" I'm going to plant it in a large container and cross my fingers. I have a good 6-8 wks before it's warm enough to plant them outside. Tamara"

My goodness...and they are already rooting out the bottom of your container? In two months time (8 weeks) you should have pumpkins on those plants (if they were in the ground). Any chance you could repot into bigger containers (gallon pots with the bottoms cut out, then duct taped back on), and then set them out in maybe 3-4 weeks tops? And if setting out then, have the prepared soil pre-warmed with plastic, or even a rigged plastic-covered frame over the area? (I really think that in 6-8 weeks you'll have plants so big they won't handle transplanting well.)

(As for the cut and duct-taped bottoms on the gallon pots...that is so when you set them out you can pull off the bottom and sink the whole pot into/on the prepared soil w/out disturbing the roots. And yes, as TamaraFaye said, careful with the taproot...they'll easily grow 2-3 feet long.)

Shoe.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Adding to what Shoe said...you can split the container and duct tape it too...but sounds like you really need to do some back ups in a couple of weeks. These vines grow quickly and when stressed, they will prematurely force into blooming. This is a survival mechanisim and any type of stress will trigger it. When that happens, it's already too late.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

What if I planted them outside with 2 liter bottles acting as a mini greenhouse? It probably would still be too cold, huh? Tamara

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Tamara, your best bet would be to cover the bed you'll be planting in (which I hope is raised!) with black plastic NOW if it's not already done. That'll start the warming process. Then you should rig up a plastic row cover with hooped wires or something similar. That's as good as it's going to get for protection from the weather.

I do believe that with the curcubits, direct-seeding them is nearly as quick as transplanting, and I always pop a seed or two near a plant when I transplant it, just in case. It's a hard crop to hurry unless you have a greenhouse. Here in 6b, I won't be starting pumpkins indoors for at least two more weeks. Good luck!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

*sigh* I do this every year. You'd think I'd learn by now to NOT start seeds so early! Tamara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.