Self watering window boxes & plants for south window box

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

I have two window boxes.
One on the east side of my house (see photo)
and one on the south which seems to get fried by mid-summer no matter how much I water.
Has anybody here tried the self watering window boxes? How well do they work?
Any recommedations for flowers or vines would work well in a southern window box?

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose
Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

I love the self watering window boxes. I got a couple last year from walmart, and i use them to grow radishes, onions and peppers and they are doing great!

They really do make a difference.

kanita

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Just out of curiosity.........what on earth are self-watering window boxes?? Elaine

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

CR, I've not tried the self watering boxes, but I have found lantana to take hot, dry sun better than most annuals, and very pretty to.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Elaine,

Self watering window boxes are just regular plastic window boxes, that have a resevoir on the bottom to hold water, and a special liner inside that allows the root absorb the water from the bottom as they need it. So if you forget to water something, or just don't have time to, you don't have to worry because the plants' roots will absorb the amount of water they need.

kanita

(Zone 6a)

CR, I really like your windowbox! It's picture perfect.

Steve

Thanks Steve! :)

Sage thanks for the tip on Lantana. :)

Even though I water my woindow boxes everyday I still have some problem with that south facing box so I'm going to try the self watering boxes this year.

(Zone 6a)

If the lantana doesn't work you could always try different kinds of hen a chickens or sedums perhaps....if nothing else works. The foliage comes in those nice deep reds....
Just an idea.

Steve

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

A self watering south facing window box should work with most any sun lover. I had petunias and dwarf sunflowers in 2 large self watering pots on my sun all day south facing porch last year and they worked fine. Try Gazania if nothing else works. Being a Southwest native they work fine in the hottest & driest conditions, are readily available at any garden center and come in a wide range of yellows, oranges, reds & variants.

Rich

Oh gosh short sunflowers would look cute!
I just need to get a self watering box for that south side.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.