Check out my NEW raised planting beds

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

I'm so excited!!! My husband and I worked on my raised beds this weekend and we got 5 done. Still more to do. My garden plan calls for 13 total. We kind of got a flow going at the end of the day Sunday. So I'm hopeful that next weekend, we can get the rest done. You can see how sloped my garden spot is with the beds on there. This will be much better on my back than planting on the side of the slope.

Thumbnail by jenhillphoto
Centreville, VA(Zone 6b)

Those look great! Just what I wish was in my yard already - am just in the planning stage & hopefully will move into the 'doing' stage soon. Am only going for one or two this year.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Very nice! I'd like to see photos after you have something growing in them.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Really nice! What a great way to make use of the slope. I wonder though - do you have enough room to walk in between them?

:)
Dee

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Sixrfun- me too, then I wouldn't have to build them myself!

Billy- yes, I will post photos once there's a crop!

Digger- I have 2 feet between each row. It's enough for me. I've been filling them with soil and planted some peas and potatoes and it worked just fine for me. I have to admitt. I'm a bit greedy about wanted as much planting space as possible and paths be ... There's about 3.5 feet between the columns...the paths that go up and down the hill. Figured I'd need more space there for wheelbarrow, etc.

Got my soil delivery Wednesday. I'll post a pic of my mountain of soil. :) I think it's some good looking stuff.

Thumbnail by jenhillphoto
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

That looks like some mighty fine dirt!

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Hey, I just noticed you are in Danbury! Can I ask you where you got your soil? I got 16 yards of compost/soil/manure mix last year, but wasn't too happy with it. It'd be nice to have another source. Are you happy with the quality of your stuff?

Those beds are really nice. You've done a nice job of using that slope to it's best advantage, IMO.

:)
Dee

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

billyporter,
thanks!

Hi DiggerDee,
I noticed that you are not too far from me. I got the soil (20 yards) delivered from Snow's Farm in Easton, CT. Very nice people. Very accomodating.

http://www.snowsfarm.com/

Never got it there before, but they sent us a sample, so I didn't have to drive all the way out there just to see it, and it looked good. I usually get my soil by the yard from Beaverbrook Supply, here in Danbury. But this was less money and it seems like good stuff. Cut out the middle man. This is their secret blend...compost, manure, leaves, etc. Have to see how things grow in it, but I can't imagine that it won't be as good as it looks. Seems very similar consistancy to what I usually buy. I got some soil from yet another supplier once and I'm still regretting it. No compost or nothin'. What a waste.

Where did you get your soil and why didn't you like it?

We built and filled more beds today. Boy am I tired. Just three more to do tomorrow. Then it's time to build the fence!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.