Old clothes

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

It's absolutely impossible for me to throw anything away. I can give it to someone and they can throw it away, but if I see the slightest use for something, well, - I'm piled higher and deeper in "useful" stuff, which of course, I can't find when I need it.

One of the things most difficult for me to figure out what to do with is old clothes. The clothes are no longer good for what they were intended, but the fabric still has life, and somewhere, someone has got to want the buttons.

I've made rags for the next decade, which I also can't bring myself to toss if I can wash and reuse them, so that decade is extended another five years. I cut up soft fabrics (almost all we have are natural fibers) to make eyeglass cleaning cloths for DH, which he has no trouble tossing.
I've looked into making rag rugs, but that just adds to all the projects I'm interested in doing and that take up space. I can't get to most of these projects anyway, because my house, garage, storage tent, etc. are too full to work in.

Ideas? I live in a very rural area, so anything that involves other people is likely not so possible. I've thought about using fabric as weed blocker/mulch in the garden, just as I used the rugs I pulled out of the house and replaced with tile. I thought shredded fabric might make an ingredient in hyperufa, but haven't done enough of it yet to do "wild" experiments. Do you suppose natural fibers, such as cotton, rayon, and silk, could be composted?

Thank you!

This thread has 8 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!